MineSweeper by Schwerin Berlin - Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MineSweeper by Schwerin Berlin - Comments

Another one of my recent acquisitions is this Mine Sweepers badge by Otto Placek - Schwerin Berlin.

I would appreciate any comments from the forum members on this piece.

As you can see, on the reverse of the badge there appears to be "striations" of some sort - what is the cause of these?

Thanks, Al
    Attached Files

Here's mine.
    George

Comment

Reverse.
      George

Comment

Hi Al,

The images aren't really clear but your badge appears to be a worn original. The badge looks vaulted, so I would suggest that the vertical striations were made when the badge was hand vaulted - probably vice marks of some type in this case. From what I have seen, I believe Schwerin Minesweeper Badges were produced flat (non-vaulted).

Regards
        Mike K
        Regards
        Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Al, I forgot

Oh yeah. I think yours is good also.
          George

Comment

Comments

Mike and George, thank you for taking the time to look at my post and provide comment.

I thought the badge was definitley original when I purchased it, my pics do not show the item very well, when held in hand the piece has very good detail and finish, and is very well made.

Mike, your comment that this maker type badge is typically always flat is most informative and appreciated.

This isn't the first time where I have seen badges, especially KM ones, that have "rolled/contoured" to wear better on a uniform.

Thanks, Al

Comment

Hi Al,

A small point of clarification, I said I believe that the badges were produced flat - it's actully more common to find them hand-vaulted, but the degree of vaulting vaires from badge to badge. Also, note the difference in the hinge/pin/catch between your tombak example and George's really nice zinc example.

Regards
              MIke K
              Regards
              Mike

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Comments

Thanks Mike for the addn'l comments.

Yes I had noticed the diff between my badge and George's.

My medal has a double block style hinge with the rivet on the left hand side, as well as differing catches and pin.

Is this typical for the Schwerin MS badges to display subtle diff's such as these? I suppose pending on when the item was manufactured during the war and availability of hinge/pin catch assembly's might explain these diff's.

Thanks, Al

Comment

Hi Al,

The reason for the differences in hinge/catch assemblies is due to the period the badge was made and, more specifically, the basemetal of the badge. Your hinge/catch setup is correct for tombak Schwerin badges, George's hinge/catch setup is correct for zinc Schwerin badges.

There are two articles dealing with Schwerin KM badges on the Member's Only section of Wehrmacht-Awards.com. Have a read over them, especially Rob Hudspith's article, and your questions shouls be answered.

Regards
                  Mike K
                  Regards
                  Mike

Comment

Comments

Thanks Mike,

I'm going to check out that article right away.

Al

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X