Well What do You Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well What do You Think

Hi Guys was at a local show last weekend and came across a Couple of Schwerin U-Boat awards priced at 350 plus . (Just missed out on a K&Q guy had it in his hands, hoovered around waiting for him to put it down, but it was a good price and he bought it ) Anyway back to the topic Maybe its just me but I cannot see the fascination with these or the reason why they are so heavily priced when compared to other U-boat awards. In my opinion they fall far short in design as well as reverse set up when compared to other U-Boat designs hence the reason I do not have one or intend to have one. Well I will get down from my soap box and hopefully find out what others think. Am I on my own on this one . All the best

Hi MRG,
    i agree on the design of the badge,it is ugly.When it comes to Schwerin badges i think the U-Boat badge is the one bad egg in the basket,so to speak in terms of design but the finish on some of the badges i've seen is superb.
    But as a collector of KM badges i think they are a "must have" item.
    The only U-Boat badge i have so far is a Schwerin,i've had it for years but i do intend to get some others.
    Their second pattern S-Boot is no where near as nice as the A.S badge,and some collectors prefer the design of the GWL Destroyer to Schwerin's but when you look at some of the Schwerin badges that have been posted lately you can see their desireability.

Regards,Martin .
    Last edited by Martin Westley; 04-10-2007, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Schwerin Berlin U-boat

Hi Mrg,
      I happen to be in the minority (and I guess old school) and like the Schwerin Berlin U-boat badge. It is one of the 1st U-boat badge makers and the diamond badges are made from Schwerin Berlin pieces (in additon the early U-boat badge documents have a Schwerin type U-boat badge on them). As Martin has stated the finish on the early badges are superb.

To me they are a must have and in my opinion, a KM collection is not truly complete without them. I have other makers of U-boat badge, but I would sell my Schwerin pieces last.

Regards,
      Jody
      Attached Files

Comment

I like all the patterns of the U=Boat badge. the finish on the Schwerin tombak types is just lovely. however, I really think the so called Juncker is the most attractive design.

Bob Hritz
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
          I like all the patterns of the U=Boat badge. the finish on the Schwerin tombak types is just lovely. however, I really think the so called Juncker is the most attractive design.

Bob Hritz
          Bob and Jody are right. We must remember there is more to a badge than an image on a computer. The feel and finish are very important. Sure, the so-called Juncker looks better in a photo, but in hand, I do not think the Schwerin U-boat badge can be beat. Not by a Juncker for a start in spite of the superior design of the eagle head.

Also remember, we are blowing these badges up by a factor of 20 or so. on the uniform, the head design made no difference IMO at all. The finish did. The Schwerin has been getting a bad rap for a long time ever since Gordon said this same thing. No question, he knows his badges, but on a uniform, in wear, not blown up to the size of a billboard, Schwerin made the best one.

These badges are tiny, lets face it. So in perspective to its actual size, my vote goes to Schwerin. I love the others too, they all have their place, but when you actually pick one up, the Schwerin just seems to come alive to me.

So call me old school also. Sometimes our photo programs make a tree look like a forest and while a great tool, can be misleading in subtle ways also.

But, an opinion in design is just that, an opinion, but I want to state the case for the maligned Schwerin.

John
          Last edited by John R.; 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Schwerin U-boat

Originally posted by John Robinson View Post
            Bob and Jody are right. We must remember there is more to a badge than an image on a computer. The feel and finish are very important. Sure, the so-called Juncker looks better in a photo, but in hand, I do not think the Schwerin U-boat badge can be beat. Not by a Juncker for a start in spite of the superior design of the eagle head.

Also remember, we are blowing these badges up by a factor of 20 or so. on the uniform, the head design made no difference IMO at all. The finish did. The Schwerin has been getting a bad rap for a long time ever since Gordon said this same thing. No question, he knows his badges, but on a uniform, in wear, not blown up to the size of a billboard, Schwerin made the best one.

These badges are tiny, lets face it. So in perspective to its actual size, my vote goes to Schwerin. I love the others too

So call me old school also. Sometimes our photo programs make a tree look like a forest and while a great tool, can be misleading in subtle ways also.

But, an opinion in design is just that, an opinion, but I want to state the case for the maligned Schwerin.

John
            Hi John,
            Well said. I love the Schwerin Berlin U-boat and it has gotten a bad rap over the past 3-4 years. What counts is how it looked on a uniform.

Regards,
            Jody

Comment

Gets my vote
              Regards, Rob
              Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hi Guys thanks for the replies very interesting comments Have to say I agree with the comments on the finish especially when you see Jody's example very nice but the Schwerin design just does not attract me, and i still feel does not warrant the cost. Especially when you consider that they sell higher than Zimmeran, Mayer, Meybauer, and Hymmen all of which have a better design and just as good of a finish (on there early examples). Amongst my own collection I have a very nice Deumur but I have to say it is the least of my favourites but that what i like about this hobby each to their own All the best

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X