No announcement yet.

Zestörer "Schwerin-Berlin68" opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is another Schwerin Destroyer i have.It is almost identical to the one i just posted.It hasthe same "crooked"swastika and the lettering on the reverse has similar alignment.
    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse.
      Attached Files

Comment

Maker name,the"L"in Berlin aligns with the center of the"W"in Schwerin.Hope all these pic's ore of some help,regards,Martin.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is the maker mark on another Schwerin destroyer that i have.Different alignment of letters,similar to Robs badge in post #4.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Martin..These are excellent pictures...thank you!
            Could we also see full size frontal and reverse pictures of the badge you posted in post #19 so we can do a comparison. Thanks.
            Visit my Badge Collection: http://lbmilitaria.homestead.com/home.html

Comment

Hi Lorenzo,here they are.Just out of interest i visited a lot of dealer sites last night looking at as many Schwerin Destroyer badges that i could find,both tombak and zinc and i noticed two different alignments in the lettering on the reverse,like the badges posted above,regards,Martin.
              Attached Files

Comment

The reverse.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Martin thanks for posting the badges, can I ask how long you have had them?

Both seem to have the "C" type catch which would tend to indicate an earlier tombak piece.

The badges you have do look convincing though I have noted this type seems to have a weak lower arm to the swastika when compared with the other one.

Zinc badges i have looked up have all been as the accepted type so far, so if there are two variations then this occured early on.
                  Last edited by rhudspith; 10-30-2006, 10:46 AM.
                  Regards, Rob
                  Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

I agree that these badges have very authentic hardware set-ups.

Could we be discovering two types of authentic Schwerin destroyer badges?

For the sake of study, I have classified these two types as "A" and "B", based upon the different style marks. My own example and Martin's would be type A. The first two posted by Martin are type B.

See the comparisons of the swaz's below. Perhaps the first pattern was the type B and Type A was later made to improve the quality of the strike? Perhaps...but would it be necessary to also change the reverse die and the mark?

Hate to bother you, Martin...but since you own both types, could you give us weights and measurements of both?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am also curious about the badge Martin posted in posts #11 & 12 ( Badge B-1). The "wear" pattern does not look natural to me.It looks more like "chipping" than the type of smooth gradation we normally see, especially on the waves.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Destroyer Badge

Hi
                        Note the definition on the Bridge door not defined

Comment

Hi guys,just got home from work.looks like a lot went on today.Firstly,Rick,the bridge door on all three badges is pretty well defined. The detail did not show up ull that well in the scans.I will scan them from different angles later to see if the detail will be better defined.Rob,i've had these badges 15-20years.The one that is in very fine condition and the one with the service # scratched on the back igot from the same person whose authority on the subject i have never questioned and he has given me some of the finest badges i have in my collection.
                          Lorenzo,the width and heigt on all three badges is,height 54mm,width 45 to 45.5mm.The same measurments as those in Mike Tuckers book.Alas,i do not have a scale but i have a jeweller friend in town. I,ll take the badges to him for an accurate weight.Regards,Martin.

Comment

Hi everone,these pic's come from Barrys' site at e-medals.Hope this is ok.I'll remove pic's if there is an objection.This badge comes with a COA from Detlev.It has the weak lower arm to the swastika and the type"B" lettering,regards,Martin.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Martin Westley; 10-30-2006, 10:06 PM.

Comment

reverse.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Detail.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X