No announcement yet.

Destroyer Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Of course it is Admiral Bey. I was looking at the flotilla commanders thinking they would sign the document, but it clearly went all the way up to the Fuhrer der Zerstorer (FDZ). It is even on the document, should have spotted that.

Konteradm. Bey held the post from May 1940 to Dec 1943 when he was killed in Scharnhorst.

He was promoted from Kommodore to Konteradm. Mar 1, 1943.

It is interesting that the award itself went to the top officer in the destroyer chain of command. I would have thought that it could be awarded by the Captain of the ship or Flotilla/Squadron Commodore, but it seems that the award was important enough to be signed by Bey himself.

So the badge was not to be taken lightly. You can assume I think that the Chief of Staff checked to make sure the awardee actually met the requirements before he brought it in for the Admiral's signature just in case the Admiral asked.

So now you know the Flotilla Commodore and the Admiral of Destroyers at the time of the award!

The Commanding Officer at the time of Riedel was KK/FK Riede: Apr 9,1941-Sep 19,1943.

Very interesting grouping Daniel.

John
    Last edited by John R.; 09-05-2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nordmark View Post
      ROFL

The scratches are raised like ridges.

Daniel
      Sounds like it was ejected before it had a chance to cool properly.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X