Schwerin HSF - Nice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schwerin HSF - Nice?

Got this a few years back.... took a break from collecting and thought i will share my HSF. What do you guys think of this specimen?

Textbook Wilson, very nice.

The finish doesn't look like fireguilding though, a bit to coarse, but that's always difficult to judge from pics.

KR
    Philippe
    Last edited by Philippe DB; 08-24-2006, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Nice one

Comment

I agree with Philippe that the finish might have been re touched, but the badge itself is a good one.

Al

Comment

Wilson,

Looks good to me; thought I would play with your PIC a bit, hope you don't mind?
          Tim
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Imo the badge is a very nice and quite early example - these ones tended to come with a heavy and coarse/grainy fire-gilt finish. Honest light wear to the obverse of the ship. Great example.

Regards
            Mike
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

More thoughts.

I didn't look at the reverse too close originally and didn't realize that the badge was a first pattern tombak. I thought all so-called 4-window versions had the smoother reverse and not the deep strike like the first pattern badges?

Anyway, I am enclosing another PIC of the badge with some pointers and you can see some laquer in the recessed areas to the right and what may be wear to the bottom of the wreath and tie (X). The colorization of the gold is correct for Schwerin IMO, but it's odd that the center is worn considerably more than the wreath in this example.

I agree with Mike that these earlier tombak badges did have a deeper, heavier fire gilding to the wreath and perhaps the wear lasted longer, and I also noticed that the blueing or dark finish applied to the center of the badge seemed to wear faster on the 4-window badges than the rest. I find it harder to find these HSF's with the ship more silver in color unless the badge is of the 4-window lot.

Tim
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting to see the weak window on an early example
                Regards, Rob
                Collecting Inerests Awards / Badges and Kriegsmarine

Comment

Hi,

I'm not sure a weak window on an early badge (ie those with a sharp reverse deck impression; Type-1 in the article) should be news. The weak window is found on later early types and the earliest of the "smooth" reverse tombak badges. This was actually shown in my article (Image#18). Perhaps in Post#6 I should have written "relatively early" rather than "quite early".

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X