Brass Narvik ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brass Narvik ?

Gentlemen tell me what you think . Around 1980/81 I was trying to fill up a small frame with my genuine campaign shields . I was strapped for cash back then having just got married . This shield came to me by a well known balloon head in the collecting community who was always messing around garnishing items , often devaluing them in the process . The idiot had come across this brass shield and painted it silver because in his words , he didn't want Kriegsmarine items and wanted to make it look like an army issue ! yeah I know I did tell you .

I told him even if it was a copy as I expected he'd ruined it and paid him peanuts for it . The plan being it would fill up the shield frame I was putting together . I never did buy another Narvik . However having recently taken it out of the frame and tentatively scraped the model makers paint away with my thumb nail it has me thinking . The detail is very crisp . The odd thing is that the backing cloth appears to be a piece of reed green denim summer tunic , whilst the cloth underneath that is the regular field grey . The pins seem to be there as I can see and feel their outline between the two materials .

I've been told that these shields were never made in brass . But we all know that there are lots of early badges were made from brass as it's an ideal metal for elctro plating as well as painting , such as early black wound badges .

What do you think ? I'm happy to be educated
    Attached Files

and the back
    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X