mine sweeper x 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mine sweeper x 2

Hello all . These 2 were bought 35 years apart in my collection . The one on the left is to my knowledge an original . Terrible condition in that it's lost virtually all of it's frosting and hook .Although the definition is still very crisp . The second I also feel is original but the hook looks to have been replaced . What do you think ? and can any of you hazard a guess to makers ?
    Attached Files

and the backs
    Attached Files

Comment

Is the stitch hook ok ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi P. A. K 75 IMO is a unmarked Deumer with replaced hook and I'm not quite sure regarding the catch.
        Cheers
        Lukas

Comment

Thanks Lukas . Yes the hook is replaced but its been well done . I at first thought it was epoxy resin fixed but it isn't . It's been neatly soldored or braizsed on and cleaned up around its edges . I think the catch has been replaced as well myself . Really appreciate your input . I boughtm it for £50 a couple of years back . The other cost me £10 . As soon as I get a nice example I'll sell the pair of them to go towards the cost of it .

Comment

Hi Guys,

I agree that the first one is a heavily worn original original Juncker with broken catch.

The photos are poor but even so that "Deumer" is problematic. It's trying to be a zinc example although the colour of the base metal looks off. Not only is all the hardware post-war (top hook included) but the margin contours are rounded down and the obverse detail is soft. The eagle's head and chest are a little distorted and small compared with originals. With all those problems it's more likely a cast reproduction than a heavily man-handled original.

I've attached some images of originals for comparison.

Best regards,
            ---Norm
            Attached Files

Comment

Comparison photos:
              Attached Files

Comment

It could be Norm. You are an oracle in KM. That's I said just IMO. Your comparison pictures gave a lot to think about.
                Cheers
                Lukas

Comment

Here's P.A.K.75's Deumer-style Minesweeper again compared with three 1970s cast reproductions with the same hinge and main pin -- a "Schwerin" Fleet badge, "S&L" S-Boat and "Souval" Auxiliary Cruiser.

Best regards,
                  ---Norm
                  Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Norm here. Deumer minesweeper is a clever cast fake with replaced catch in order to disguise since these wide flat catches are postwar one lookers. This is not heavily worn zincer (which might explain weak details, odd cutouts and pitting on the surface) with replaced complete hardware and then refninished since it does not look refinished. This finish seem original to the badge and is also wrong for Deumer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X