Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denazified U-boat Badge

Hello to all,

I received this denazified U-boat Badge today. $27.56 from ebay. The badge is zinc, and completely void of finish. This is a French-produced version of the U-boat Badge. From the front it is immediately recognizable as such by virtue of the square cut keel on the bottom of the U-boat. On the reverse, it has the typical pin, hinge, and catch setup found on the French-produced badges. Not only was the Hakenkreuz removed, but the head of the eagle as well. Don't know why this was done, but on many of the 57 pattern badges, the eagle was eliminated as well as the Hakenkreuz. I guess by removing the head of the eagle, it can no longer be considered an eagle? Yes, the badge looks kind of ugly and beat, but at least it is real. I would think that there is much history hidden in just such a piece. I sometimes prefer pieces like this over those mint condition pieces that sat in a case, on a shelf, and never saw the action.
    Best regards! Tom
    Attached Files
    Mihi libertas necessest!

reverse
    Attached Files
    Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Just after the war , in French , it was a tradition who consist to carry on its jacket
      badge of enemy after denazified ! i have seen lot of 3reich babges with no eagle head !
      Your badge is a french production ( end 1941 or 1942 ) .
      Your badge was certainly carry by U-Boot man and take by a french combatant !
      Regards JMBH

Comment

Hello JMBH,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your comments about this badge. I found your comments very interesting, and it does make sense.
        Best regards! Tom
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

The french production for Kriegsmarine (6 badges) was betweenn
          24/06/1941 and 28/01/1943. ( 28/01/43 = 2 pattern schneelboot )
          May be 2 firms product this badges .
          These 6 badges delivery at K.M. ministry in Paris and Q.G. of K.M. in other place of Paris .
          Best regards ! Jean-Marie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X