Medal bar manufactured by H.J.Wilm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal bar manufactured by H.J.Wilm

Friends! I have never come across an image of a medal bar with a label from this manufacturer. What do you think about that? Maybe someone else has more images of the medal bar with this label?
    Attached Files

foto
    Attached Files

Comment

+ foto
      Attached Files

Comment

That's a nice Schnalle, and I've never seen that particular label before.

Comment

this looks as very nice example!

Comment

Label

Not familiar with that maker either. I bet RonR is though!

Best,

James

Comment

One more photo! By the way, pay attention to the street name!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Edward 1970 View Post
                By the way, pay attention to the street name!
                Noticed that... a bit odd, eh?

Comment

Awesome!

Very nice medal bar.

Best regards,
                  Tom
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I love mounts with labels from manufacturer/tailor shop

Comment

Nice medal bar!

Comment

That is a lovely medal bar. Very well made.

Kind regards,
                        Pierce

Comment

Very nice medal bar!

This Wilm label is very surprising to see on your bar. J.H. Wilm completely transitioned out of orders, decorations, and medals after WW1, mostly because its government contracts disappeared. None of the interwar period Berlin business directories that I looked in, list Wilm as having anything to do with orders, medals, decorations, medal bars, etc.

Through the 20's and the 30's, Wilm slowly became one of the most prestigious and most expensive jewelers, silversmiths, and goldsmiths in Europe, catering to the most affluent customers. Even Göring ordered his over-the-top silverware, jewelry, and custom-designed marshall batons from Wilm.

I have seen this purple Wilm label before and, although I can't find an example now on the internet, it was in the form of a ribbon stretched across the silk lining of a jewelry box's lid's interior.

I simply can't see the Cartier of Berlin manufacturing a 5-place medal bar in the late 30's when they were not commercially engaged in that kind of activity at all.

Using a loupe, can you examine the thread that was used to sew-on the black felt cover and compare it to the thread used to sew-on the label?

Last edited by Gardereiter; 05-22-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Very nice bar, I like it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Erickn View Post
                              Very nice bar, I like it.
                              Maybe Erikn can explain his reason for posting a picture of an EK2-1914 with WILM stamped in the ring. (???)

It is well known that WILM was one of the producers of AWARDED IRON CROSSES during WW1. Not sure what that has to do with a medal bar put-together well after the end of WW1. Wlim began to disengage itself from its involvement with orders and decorations starting around 1919.

Also, the reason is not entirely clear for Erikn posting the other 2 pictures. I see what looks like a red jewelry box and a paper label of some kind. If the point is to show the term "Hofjuwelier" it means a Jeweler by Appointment to the Royal (or Imperial) Court. The term doesn't mean or imply that they are also a Goldschmied für die Königliche Ordenskanzlei.

Last edited by Gardereiter; 05-22-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X