Opinions on this 4x medal bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this 4x medal bar

I would like your opinions on this medal bar. Got it a while back. None of it glows under black light, the Ostfront is MM75, and when I purchased it I had no idea that the EK2 was a 'rounder' - neither did the seller. I have been hammered on it because the awards do not 'line-up' on the bottom (ie the bottom of the awards are not flush) Instead the medal prongs that hold the medlas are in a straight line on the bar causing them to stager. Also people have not liked the height of the eagle on the 4 year award. Just looking for opinions - hit me hard - either way the rounder is worht 4 times what I paid for the whole thing - back when the euro was low....
    Attached Files

and the back - sorry for the fuzzy photo - one day of photgraphing the entire collection...
    Attached Files

Comment

no one has any comments?

Comment

Imo the bar looks either like a selfmade bar, but more likely a put together. The ribbons are not correct folded. The medals are real, no problem. May i ask, what did you pay for it?

best,
        Gerd

Comment

I dont like it, the ribbons look too sloppy and loose. The medals appear to be real though. Someone probably found a ratty medal bar and rebuilt it using new old stock ribbon. They just didnt do a very convincing job.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

That is what I have thought - your comments confirm - I paid 100 Euros for it three years ago. Even still, I think I will keep it together as I just dont know. To me it looks like a professional job, but others are better experts. It was a nice bar for a nice price and the rounder EK to throw in with it.

Comment

Hello eindecker2,

I definitely like the medals, but the overall quality of the bar is certainly lacking. The long service eagle really looks odd perched that high up. As far as I can tell, all the parts used appear to be original. Worst case scenario is that the bar was put together post war, using original parts. Best case scenario is that the bar is a legit, wartime assembly, but made by someone lacking skill. Maybe done at home by the recipient, or a family member. I'm more inclined to think the former. Either way, a nice deal for 100. Euros.
              Best regards! Tom
              Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

I agree with what the others have said, the parts look OK but the bar itself looks a little sloppy to be a wartime piece.

To me it's either been repaired or put together by an inexperienced individual.

Below is a photo of a similar bar I own for comparison.

Notice how the ribbons a more tight & uniform. Also the placement of the devices.

This is more along the lines of what you like to see in period bars.
                Attached Files
                Regards,
                Chris

Always interested in buying Ribbon Bars or anything Ribbon Bar related!!

Comment

Well, after all this discussion I will add a few more observations that I made. The ribbons are not loose and are very tight. At the top of the bar it feels like there is some padding or something that makes it bulge a little bit at the top, giving it a puffy pillow like feeling...why??? Though it does not show on the photos the ribbons are slightly soiled esp where the medals have been resting on the ribbons. The medals are nearly mint except for natural wear. The EK has a heavy patina and the ostfront had a uniform zink draw on the original finish. So - its still up in the air as far as I am concerned - perhaps it was a private job, perhaps not but as I recall the rounder is still worht more alone that what I paid for it. I just could never bring myself to cutting it up just on value alone.

Comment

I normally agree with the idea that the medals should lineup on a bar but there are many exceptions to this. Here is a bar I found at a local show that I am confident is good. The medals are on tab backed mounts and then each mount is individually attached to the medal bar. They are not even close. Also notice the wrong order on the long service medals! I paid slightly less than what big show prices would be for the individual medals so if a put together I am not out anything - just like the bar that started this thread.
                    This style of bar often does have padding behind the ribbons to give the bar a certain look. See if you can look in and see what the stuffing is. I have both stacks of paper cut into squares and also material that looks like dark grey "dryer lint" with various other fibers mixed in.
                    The eagle is the part of your bar that I think causes most people to not like it. I have noticed that the Prauge bars on a handful of medal bars that I have seen were mounted in a similar place. Look through some old threads on Prauge bars to see if any bars show up.
                    Then again, maybe this guy was REALLY short and wanted people to notice the eagle!

CRBeery
                    Attached Files

Comment

The back.
                      Attached Files

Comment

eindecker, I dont think anyone here has any problem with the medals, so the amount of patina, wear etc is irrelevent. You asked for opinions on the medal bar, and you got them, but at the end of the day they are still opinions, and none of us have the item in hand as you do, so we will always be at a disadvantage in that respect.

Lets imagine that this medal bar is on a dealers website, just by looking at the pictures I would probably pass on it, but that doesnt mean anything except that it didnt appeal to me. If someone asked why that is, I could explain, but it still doesnt make it any more or less real.

Since you now say that the ribbons are tight, and there is wear from the medals on the ribbons, then perhaps this is a just a period medal bar that wasnt made as nicely as others, that is easy enough to accept. It would have been nice to know these details up front, as we could have possibly provided a more informed opinion. We can see the misalignment of the medals, the oddly placed eagle, etc, and from that we formed our opinion.

You got a good deal on it, and are obviously happy with it. Keep it and enjoy it.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by CRBeery
                          Then again, maybe this guy was REALLY short and wanted people to notice the eagle!

CRBeery

Eindecker, like everybody says to you, you go a great deal on that bar and you really can be happy with it. DonĀ“t ripp it apart, because there is still a chance, that this is a legit bar, you never know.

Comment

I do apreciate all the comments and I like the idea of a short guy owning it! Never thought of it that way as I am 185cm tall! As for the material on the interior you can see a small swath of the 'pillow' material on the photo of the back, it feels like a soft doeskin silk, but it almost reminds me of burlap. I was 'fondeling' it today and I found a piece of field gray wool 'nap' in between the rear folds of the 4 year ribbon! It is interesting how I purchased it - put it in the display box and thought I had a great deal - three years later I am now truly 'examening' it. Anyhow - thanks for all your comments and the examples to compare it with! Its the reason for this Forum!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X