Mystery ribbon on a TR/Olympic ribbon bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery ribbon on a TR/Olympic ribbon bar

Anyone recognize what the ribbon in last place might be on this one? I'm coming up blank on my own.

Looks like the ribbon for the Hesse Bravery Medal....but that would make little sense.

Kind regards
    Pierce
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello!

Can it be the prussian roter adler orden? 4th class or medal for enlisted.

//Thomas
      Last edited by Tiger88; 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Forgot the pics
        Attached Files

Comment

I won't know until I get the bar in my hands whether or not the background is indeed a faded [Hessian] blue or not, but it might well be. Although it looks rather white in the photographs, it's a much "cooler" white than the white on the EK and KVK, for what it's worth. The red does read to me as much closer to the red of the Hessian decoration than the orange of the RAO.

I'm not really sure what scenario would result in either one of them being awarded without there having been a Hindenburg Cross on the bar to indicate WWI service.

Comment

I agree with Pierce, its the Hesse bravery ribbon.
            This is my Hesse ribbon bar:

/peter

Comment

I agree there should be a Hindenburg there in either case.

Since it is the last one on the bar, could it be some obscure foreign medal?

//Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger88 View Post
                I agree there should be a Hindenburg there in either case.

Since it is the last one on the bar, could it be some obscure foreign medal?

//Thomas
                That's what I'm beginning to suspect. Perhaps it's something that the maker of the ribbon bar didn't have on hand, and they used the Hessian ribbon as a substitute. Given that the construction of the bar doesn't look like the product of a really high-end producer (Godet, etc.), that adds a little more credence to that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by landsknechte View Post
                  That's what I'm beginning to suspect. Perhaps it's something that the maker of the ribbon bar didn't have on hand, and they used the Hessian ribbon as a substitute. Given that the construction of the bar doesn't look like the product of a really high-end producer (Godet, etc.), that adds a little more credence to that idea.
                  That is a very good point. A foreign order or decoration would make more sense here than an Imperial German merit/valor decoration, placed at the end of the bar and after an Olympic Games Commemorative Medal.

My first thought was a Japanese Order of the Rising Sun, but those show only a sliver of white at the edges. It is very possible that the assembler used a similar looking substitute ribbon if they did not have the correct ribbon on hand.

Maybe another possibility is the Lithuanian Knight's Cross of the Order of Vytautas the Great or the Bronze Medal of the Order of Vytautas the Great????
                  Instituted in 1930 and still awarded today.

Best regards,
                  Tom

Knight's Cross (5th. class) of the Order of Vytautas the Great pictured below:
                  Attached Files
                  Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Intriguing possibility there. The ribbon looks pretty well dead on. I'm having a bear of a time finding out any info about that decoration though. Hmmm....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X