Der Marschallstab: my investigation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Der Marschallstab: my investigation.

Hello! I was thinking of sharing with all of you the results of my investigation (so far) about the rare Fieldmarshal's baton that were delivered during WW2.
    Here I'm going to show you the real life examples (when possible) of those batons and the locations. Please, feel free to make corrections and
    contributions

Keep in mind I've only found the pictures of these, but I'm missing some others.

First, a simple introduction to the batons of the three main forces of the WH.

Baton of the Heer
    After 1940, Fieldmarshals received the Marschallstab, made entirely by hand, with gold and silver. They were produced by the firm HJWilms (Berlin) and were about 48 to 51 cm and between 3.2 and 3.8 cm in diameter. The aluminum center tube was covered with a thin cloth of bright red velvet. The tube was covered with 4 rows of 5 eagles and 5 iron crosses alternatively, horizontally, vertically and diagonally. The eagles were gold metal (31, X2, 3 cm), made after the Wehrmacht "Adler" model (Eagle of the German Armed Forces), with the swastika within a wreath of oak leaves. The iron crosses were made of silver and measured 1.6 X1, 6cm, with a black enamel interior. Both ends of the pole bodies were composed of gold and silver metal, shaped capitals adorned with oak leaf motifs and ribbons in relief. At the top of the cane there was a gold metal eagle, and in the bottom, an iron cross in silver and black. The superior side included the inscription, in letters molded and glued Gothic "Der Fuehrer Dem Generalfeldmarschall (surname)", while in the bottom of the cane it read "Zum Freiheitskampf Grossdeutschen des Volkes" ("In the struggle for freedom of the people of Greater German Reich" and the date of granting of the promotion to Fieldmarshal. This baton was limited to special events or state ceremonies.

They were also given the Interimstab, a daily service baton. Measured 78.5 cm, with a diameter at the top of 2 cm and 1.1 cm at the bottom. The upper metal was silver, conical, with ornaments of varied type. Near the base of the capital included a strip for the registration of Gothic letters with the name of the carrier. On the sides of the conical part is inlaid symbols like the iron cross in silver, and 2 types of eagle in gold (with a crown of oak leaves and without crown). The tube was lacquered black wood of 62cm in length, to the other end and to gragona, suspended from a 55cm cord, hung silver abochada of the capital. Both the dragon and his umbilical cord were composed of three interlocking white, black and red.

Generalfeldmarschall Gunther von Kluge
    His baton is currently at the Münster Museum (Germany)

Gunther von Kluge

Generalfeldmarschall Maximllian Freiherr von Weichs
    His baton is present at the National Infantry Museum, Fort Benning/Columbus (Georgia, USA)

Maximllian Freiherr von Weichs

Generalfeldmarshall Erwin Rommel
    I think the original baton is in the hands of his son, Manfred. Maybe someone could explain this.

Erwin Rommel.

Award ceremony (1940)

Rommel official photo, after the awarding of the baton. (1940).

The baton, on the day of his funeral. (1944).

Generalfeldmarschall Werner von Blomberg.
    His baton is present at the National Museum of American History(Smithsonian).

Baton of the Kriegsmarine
    Awarded only to Grossadmiral Erich Raeder and Karl Doenitz, this type of baton is the same as the Fieldmarshals, but with the following differences:
    - The color of the velvet lining of the tube is dark blue
    - At the top of the stick, the eagle is replaced by a gold anchor
    - Gold metal anchors are among the crosses of iron and pipe golden eagles

Großadmiral Karl Dönitz
    Currently at the Shropshire Regimental Museum, Shrewsbury (UK).

Karl Donitz.

Dönitz with his baton..

Two members of the US army with his baton. Stolen..

Großadmiral Erich Raeder
    I don't know the name of the location, just got this photos.

Erich Raeder.

Baton of the Luftwaffe
    Same as the above, but with the following differences:
    - The color of the velvet-lined pipe is blue-gray
    - At the top is an eagle Lftwaffe
    - At the bottom, a balcanik cross.

Generalfeldmarschall Albert Kesselring
    His baton was recently sold to an american collector.

Albert Kesselring.

Baton of the Reichsmarschall
    Goering's special made baton was bathed in gold, lined with white velvet and inlaid with gold eagles, and iron crosses in silver. The baton itself contained various precious stones, and the legend of concession to Hermann Goering.
    At the top was a Luftwaffe eagle gold with precious stones, and a cross at the bottom.

His Interimstab was made of gold and with the same model as those of the Luftwaffe, and the name "H. Goering" engraved on the base. The body was of ivory and white entwined cord dracona white, black and red. Measured 78.5 cm.

Here I'm gonna show you the two models of this special baton.

Generalfeldmarschall Hermann Goring
    Currently at theNational Infantry Museum, Fort Benning/Columbus (Georgia, USA)

Hermann Goring

His second model, present at the West Point Museum.

Goring.

Sources: http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/Letters/KarlDonitzBaton.html http://www.forosegundaguerra.com/vie...php?f=18&t=597 http://www.themarshalsbaton.com/Batons.htm http://www.flickr.com/photos/corywen...7066/lightbox/ http://thirdreichcolorpictures.blogs...nther-von.html http://www.makara.us/04mdr/01writing...os/Goering.htm http://www.armchairgeneral.com/fliegen-und-siegen.htm http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=139944 http://www.uboataces.com/cgi-bin/ubo...91317235735184 http://www.usmbooks.com/rommel_book.html http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=17984 http://americanhistory.si.edu/milita...ject.asp?ID=45

I'll return later with some more.

Regards,
    Sepp.
    Last edited by Sepp45; 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM.

What are interesting post!

do you know if there are any Batons in Germany?

Erich

Comment

the first one is in Munster (Panzermuseum).
      Sehr zu empfehlen!!!!!

Comment

The craftsmanship, is outstanding, they're things of beauty. Trust Goring to have ones to match some of his outfits.

Comment

great to see such ultra rare items.

Wonderful. Thanks for this thread.

martin

Comment

Thanks to all for your comments

Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel
            I have this rare photo I got from a japanese website. You can clearly see the surname Keitel, but I have no more info on this.

Also, here is Keitel with his baton, alongside Ion Antonescu.

And some tiny photos of Generalfeldmarschall Walter von Reichenau's baton:

Regards,
            Sepp.

Comment

Well done for documenting these historical items. What a great idea for a thread!

Kind regards
              Pierce

Comment

Thanks Pierce

Generalfeldmarschall Walter Model
                This photos of Walter Model's baton were posted by a member of a british collectors forum. It was sold some years ago by Hermann Historica.

Walter Model

Any more info?

Regards,
                Sepp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
                  Thanks Pierce

Generalfeldmarschall Walter Model
                  This photos of Walter Model's baton were posted by a member of a british collectors forum. It was sold some years ago by Hermann Historica.

Walter Model

Any more info?

Regards,
                  Sepp.
                  That one is a forgery, a nice forgery, but still a forgery.

Generalfeldmarschall Walter Model (1891 - 1945) - Marschallstab.
                  Sammleranfertigung seines am 31.3.1944 verliehenen Marschallstabes. Silber, teilweise vergoldet, gute Juweliersarbeit. Mit rotem Samt bezogener Schaft mit aufgelegten Hoheitsadlern und Eisernen Kreuzen. Vergoldete Knäufe mit gebundenem Eichenlaub und mit Eisernem Kreuz bzw. mit Hoheitsadler verziert. Umlaufende Dedikationsinschriften in gotischen Lettern "Der Führer dem Generalfeldmarschall Model" und "Zum Freiheitskampf des Großdeutschen Volkes 31. März 1944". Länge 49,5 cm.

Btw, you have a quite a good taste for threads

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Olav Holden View Post
                    That one is a forgery, a nice forgery, but still a forgery.

Generalfeldmarschall Walter Model (1891 - 1945) - Marschallstab.
                    Sammleranfertigung seines am 31.3.1944 verliehenen Marschallstabes. Silber, teilweise vergoldet, gute Juweliersarbeit. Mit rotem Samt bezogener Schaft mit aufgelegten Hoheitsadlern und Eisernen Kreuzen. Vergoldete Knäufe mit gebundenem Eichenlaub und mit Eisernem Kreuz bzw. mit Hoheitsadler verziert. Umlaufende Dedikationsinschriften in gotischen Lettern "Der Führer dem Generalfeldmarschall Model" und "Zum Freiheitskampf des Großdeutschen Volkes 31. März 1944". Länge 49,5 cm.

Btw, you have a quite a good taste for threads
                    Thanks for the correction, Jon Do you now the whereabouts of Model's baton? I read somewhere that there isn't one photo of him carrying it, because he hated it..

Regards,
                    Sepp.

Comment

A little extra:

Generalfeldmarschall Gerd von Rundstedt
                      I only could get on picture of von Rundstedt's Baton, currently at the Rastatt museum, in Germany.

Von Rundstedt and others Field Marshals, during the awarde ceremony.

Source: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/

Regards,
                      Sepp.

Comment

Under post #1( Rommel's baton): 2 pictures of Model's batons in auction catalog were identified as Rommel's baton by mistake / (Donitz's baton): that one appeared in Peter Tamm museum in Hamburg is questionable / (Raeder's baton): the one appeared in Peter Tamm museum is questionable as the original was taken apart into separate sections and sold after the war according to Hermann Historica.
                        Under post #6 (von. Reichenau's baton): that picture is taken from A. Huskin's book is questionable/ (Keitel's baton): it was sold by HH in 2009, now in private collection ( see attached b/w pictures )
                        Under post # 10 (Model's baton): auctioned in Germany 76 .But according to a forum member it was stolen.
                        Under post #11, the yellow sticker points to Bock, not Rundstedt. More photos of Rundstedt's baton, set aside next to Rommel's sword document, were posted by another forum member before.
                        Attached Files

Comment

More:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                            Under post #1( Rommel's baton): 2 pictures of Model's batons in auction catalog were identified as Rommel's baton by mistake / (Donitz's baton): that one appeared in Peter Tamm museum in Hamburg is questionable / (Raeder's baton): the one appeared in Peter Tamm museum is questionable as the original was taken apart into separate sections and sold after the war according to Hermann Historica.
                            Under post #6 (von. Reichenau's baton): that picture is taken from A. Huskin's book is questionable/ (Keitel's baton): it was sold by HH in 2009, now in private collection ( see attached b/w pictures )
                            Under post # 10 (Model's baton): auctioned in Germany 76 .But according to a forum member it was stolen.
                            Under post #11, the yellow sticker points to Bock, not Rundstedt. More photos of Rundstedt's baton, set aside next to Rommel's sword document, were posted by another forum member before.
                            Chen, I've always enjoyed reading your post and corrections, but this is something I frankly don't understand. First of all, your description has no sources or links to back it up. I always try to give my thread with some sort of "source"; you expect me to take your word for it..

Second, Most of my information I got it from the site: "The marshal baton", where are shown with solid information there..

I really hope you can give me some proof of your analysis..

Comment

Under post#1 ( Goring's Reichsmarshal's baton): its body shaft is not covered by white velvet( unlike other batons which have colored velvet , white velvet is not too practical as get dirty easily) but ivory instead.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X