Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Brigade Decoration

Hi Guys
    I'm thinking of selling this Decorations but would like it vetted first.Any comments will be appreciated.Thanks Jay

Ps would this be considered a cased 1st class or a cased 2nd class?

DSCN1121.jpg

[ATTACH]1445785[/ATTACH]

Comment

Jay, from these pics it looks ok.
      The more common of the two variations of this medal.
      The other has the Ring attachment on top of the cross vs. the ball like this one,

Comment

Fire Service Cross

I do like the cross and the case but the swaz looks wierd. It also appears to be off-centre.

Stan

Comment

Its a second class cross

Comment

Looks like a nice 2nd class to me

Nick

Comment

Thanks Guys!!
              I had a good feeling that it was a good one.I cant find my records of what i paid for it ,so would $500.00 to 550.00 be a good range? Jay

Comment

Not sure what these go for today. Personally I think that's a little high. I'd figure ~$400 would be like it?

Comment

Darrell
                  Thanks .Just wish i could remember what i paid.Will have to just wing it on this one. Thanks alot for yourThoughts .Jay

Comment

Yes it's a second class, first class has a needle back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Olav Holden View Post
                      Yes it's a second class, first class has a needle back.
                      i think they also made the first class the same as this only in gilded gold

Comment

There were always two classes of this medals 1st and 2nd.

As it was not really an order, you could not progress through it like the KVK or IC, I think the proper way to describe the badges would be the 'Fire Service badge of honour' and the 'Fire Service badge of honour in gilt'

Usually given for 25 years of service to fireman and in gilt to officers.

The 1st class started as a pinback but I think for only a few years it was then shrunk to the same size as the 2nd class with a suspension ring and was in 'gilt'.

The pinback is quite rare and is faked quite allot.

It was not possible to have both the first and second class
                        Could also be given posthumously or when wounded and disabled.

The non gilt version can be easily upgraded to gilt with a little gold leaf, watch out for that as it can be hard to detect by photo and the only way to check it is in hand with a little gentle scraping as the leaf wil come right off.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X