Spanish 2 place ribbon bar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spanish 2 place ribbon bar.

Here is a nice 2 place Spanish war ribbon bar.

Erich Craciun
    Attached Files

25mm tab backs? QUITE unusual South German style mounting too.

I may be mistaken, but that looks to me like an INCORRECT peacetime Spanish Military Merit Order ribbon-- white-red-white, when it should have been red-white-red...

Obviously the military effects outfitter had an order for this, and reached into the box for the "Spanish MMO" ribbon that he already had in stock-- a nice example of a period error!!!

Comment

Mr. Lundström wrote
      I may be mistaken, but that looks to me like an INCORRECT peacetime Spanish Military Merit Order ribbon-- white-red-white, when it should have been red-white-red...
      Well, according to Spanish sources, at least 1284 Military Merit white crosses (in different classes) were awarded to Legion Condor members. So, this ribbon bar can be correct.

What is "wrong" is the use of crossed swords on Spanish ribbons, as long as they were against, or at least not mentioned, in Spanish regulations.

I suppose German LC vets used them to encourage their Spanish awards "war" character.

Best regards

Comment

Thanks very much for that information!

I thought from the statutes that the white crosses were only awarded in peacetime, so that many to "Condor Legion" types is a big surprise to me.

Now if only we could combine who got what SPANISH awards with who got which grade of GERMAN awards....

Comment

Mr Lundström wrote
          I thought from the statutes that the white crosses were only awarded in peacetime, so that many to "Condor Legion" types is a big surprise to me.
          Well, you're right, white crosses are supposed to be peacetime awards, but these are the figures I have:

Spanish Military Merit Order medals (WHITE) awarded to LC members:

Gran Cruz (Great Cross): 3 (Sperrle, Volkmann, von Richthofen)
          Cruz de 3º clase (3rd class cross): 5
          Cruz de 2º clase (2nd class cross): 42
          Cruz de 1º clase (2nd class cross): 1234

Note that higher classes were for higher ranking officers. The sequence was reversed in further regulations.

Other Spanish decorations awarded to LC members:

Medalla Militar Individual (Military Medal, individual): 60
          Cruz de Guerra (War Cross): 986
          Cruz Roja del Mérito Militar (Military Merit Red Cross): 5600
          Medalla de la Campaña (Campaign Medal): 14982
          Medalla de Sufrimientos por la Patria (Medal for Sufferings for the Country - Wound Medal): 206

Unfortunately, those figures are incomplete: I have a list of the 60 recipients of the Military Medal, and I've found also seven German soldiers who actually received that awards and aren't in that list.

Best regards

Comment

Fascinating research!

Ed Haynes

Comment

Figures are taken from the following book:

"La Ayuda Alemana a España 1936-1939". R. Hidalgo Salazar. Editorial San Martin. Madrid, 1975. ISBN 84-7140-103-7.

Not a very good book, but some interesting data can be found on it.

Best regards

Comment

Quite interesting and new to me. Now comparing these Spanish awards to Germans numbers with the German "Spanish Cross" campaign cross awards...

Comment

HELLO MY FRIEND

Originally posted by panzerpionier
                  Figures are taken from the following book:

"La Ayuda Alemana a España 1936-1939". R. Hidalgo Salazar. Editorial San Martin. Madrid, 1975. ISBN 84-7140-103-7.

Not a very good book, but some interesting data can be found on it.

Best regards
                  Here is a most interesting Spanish Naval medal of Merit 1st Class awarded to a Kreigsmarine officer. Would your records show how many of these were awarded to Condor Legion personnel?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mr Stump

No, that book covers only Legion Condor personnel, not KM "non intervention" men. The book can be found here:http://www.soldiers.es/soldiers/sold...port/c179.html

But I think it's not worth the money and effort. Note that its cover shows the "Bernburg Jäger", a insignia that never was painted on LC aircraft...

I'm sure complete listings of German recipients must lie somewhere in Spanish records. I wish I had time to search through them!

Best regards

Comment

THANKS

Thanks for the information. My medal came with the formal Spanish Award document and one from Germany authorizing the recipient to accept and wear it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

It would be very interesting to know in which units served Herr Schröer in the 1936/39 perid.

Best regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X