Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftschutz medals question

Hello,

I was browsing trough a received auction catalogue and I noticed the Luftschutz medals, these are not very wanted it seems but can be interesting non the less IMHO => howmany types does exist ?, what are the materials used ? ( I know already Zinc and Aluminium ), what kind of etui's or paper packets does exist, etc ...

All help is very welcome

Cordial Greetings,
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Two classes

Stijn-- According to Forman there is a 1st class and a second class. The first class was made in brass, alloy or zinc. There were only 150 awarded. Price range $750-1000. The medal has the form of a cross with a circle (circle is smaller that the cross) and in the middle is a swastika. In the cirlcle you can read the text: Für verdienst im Luftschutz. At the the other side you can read the text 19 and 38 at the ends of the horizontal ends of the cross.

The second class is the well known round medal.

Comment

Hello Stijn,

I also never understood why collectors shy away from this award, the first class variation is considered to be somewhat rare in the terms of the number of examples produced. I think that Bill Shea has a 1st class variation on his site and it has been there for a while. Given the thought that only 150 documented pieces were awarded one would think that the piece would command a higher value. I think Foremans has the first class listed for $700.00, not cheap, but again given the amount that were awarded one would thing in terms of higher dollar value.

The First Class was came into effect on April 20th 1938, the award was struck in bronze and later in zinc; the ribbon for the first and second class was identical in color as well as measurements being 38.5 -40mm. For more information in regards to criteria, see Jack Angolia's book "For Fuhrer and Fatherland" ; Political and Civil Awards Page s 164-166. Mr. Angolia states that it is unkown as to what the presentation case was for the first class.

The second class was instituted in January of 1933, (before the 1st class) Same reference book gives the measurement of the second class as 38-40mm and the same ribbon as mentioned above. The early examples were struck in a grey metal , aluminum and then zinc and presented in either paper in a envelope or gray cardboard title case. I would guess that the case was for earlier awards and then switched over to the paper envelope. But that is only speculation on my part.

Also a point worth mentioning is their were seperate awards given for men and woman in Detlevs book, but no reference is given to what the physical differences are.

The award was designed by graphic designer Egon Jantke, Berlin.

I always like this award, but never felt compelled to purchase a first class example, the problem for me is those darn LW badges, I simply cannot have enough of them.

Cordially yours,

JD
      Last edited by Joseph D'Errico; 12-31-2002, 02:07 AM.
      What we do in life ehoes in eternity.

Comment

My Cross

Hi Stijn, I will post the one I have in my collection. I have had this one a very long time. It's neat because it's mounted on a Austrian type tri-fold ribbon. It measures 38.5 wide X 40.5 wide and weighs 21.6 grams. The base metal is an alloy - definately not brass or zinc. Joseph: I believe the one on Bill's site is not correct unless there is a "variation" out there with a smaller swastika than on the accepted examples.
        ERIC

Comment

Back

The Reverse:

Comment

Hello Eric,

Interesting point, in reference to the one on Bill's site, in that maybe this is the differnce between the award for men and the s award for woman. Detlev does not, I stated make refernce to the physical differnce between the two. Maybe size matters.

Cordially Yours,
            JD

PS Nice example Eric.

Comment

@Eric: Wow, I wish I had that one! Nice and interesting example.

@Joe: No, swaz size is not the distinction between awarded to males or females. This distinction is merely noticable in the way it is mounted. Regular ribbon for males, women´s "bowtie" type ribbon for females. The awards are in both cases the same. That goes for both classes.

Cheers, Frank
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hello Frank,

Thanks for the background intel on the award for males and females, most helpful.

Best Regards,
                JD

Comment

Luftschutz awards

Hello,

Indeed Eric a very neat award you have there and I like it especially with the Trifold ribbon, are there any other members who can post their Luftschutz awards ? ( both 1 and 2 nd class are welcome ).

I also would like to see the cases ( again both classes => and I guess the 1 e class case is quite a rare one and mayby even rarer then the award itself ) or paper packets ?

Cordial greetings,

ps : Im healthy again after my little flu intermezzo

Comment

my 2nd classes

Hi Stijn,
                    I will post my 2nd class crosses here for your viewing - The one on the right (uncased) is the aluminum type. The one in its case is an early one and is made from an alloy of some sort(whitemetal I think). Sorry, I don't have one in zinc to share.
                    ERIC

Comment

backside

The Reverses:

Comment

case top

Here's the top of the case:

Comment

Also came in a packet

Second Class also came in a titled packet like this one' photo courtesy of Niemann, Hamburg.

Comment

Luftschutz medals

Hello,

Thanks for the input guys ( especially the cases or paper packets etc ... ) but we are not happy yet => common guys scan your Luftschutz baby's and post them here for comparison purpose + someone somwhere must have seen a case for the first class ?

Thanks in advance

Comment

The majority of examples I have seen in boxes are the early(?) aluminium type, mounted on pin-back ribbons:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X