Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
        New Arrivals - Feb09 - FJ in Kreta #8
        Hello,
        some pictures from 16./Sturm-Regiment.

Thomas

Comment

Aaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!
          Hi Bill, thanks for the great pics, the reason for the head bang is that your pics are showing Fj wearing that strange short, tan tunic that am starting to see everywhere!!!! Most of the pics of Fj wearing this tunic show them returning from Crete, but yours shows it being worn in Crete? I have not seen them beeing worn in combat in Crete, so it must meen that they wear created between the end of hostilities and the return to Germany, but I still don't know what they are made from. Any dates to go with these pics

Comment

Paul,

I don't believe any tropical uniforms werre issued prior to or during the invasion of Crete. I do believe there were a large quantity of captured British issue tropical Khaki uniforms modified by the FJ on Kreta after the end of hostilities. The reason I say this is I found on a flea market in Stuttgart a bag full of British Tropical Khaki items...which included a number of British issue shorts and a British marked tunic with Flak insiginia with LW Uffz tress. Service numbers were on many of the shorts and I managed to ID'd one pair to an Austrialian KIA. No dates on the pics but it is obvious they are FJ. I hope your head doesn't hurt to bad.

Bill

Originally posted by paulmfjr2 View Post
            Aaaaaaaargh!!!!!!!
            Hi Bill, thanks for the great pics, the reason for the head bang is that your pics are showing Fj wearing that strange short, tan tunic that am starting to see everywhere!!!! Most of the pics of Fj wearing this tunic show them returning from Crete, but yours shows it being worn in Crete? I have not seen them beeing worn in combat in Crete, so it must meen that they wear created between the end of hostilities and the return to Germany, but I still don't know what they are made from. Any dates to go with these pics

Comment

Hi Bill, I agree that the tan tunics in question are from captured stock, its just that I seem to be finding so many pics of them that there must have been a small factory of FJ tailors manufacturing them after the fall of Crete!!!!!! I can understand individual made items. But I have seen pics of platoon + strength all wearing the same tunic. Do you think that items wear manufactured/altered on mass? And the otherquestion is what happened to them afterwards as you don't see them in any later period photo's?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Paul.

Unit tailors always were kept busy but I believe also that the local Kretans were also employed which could explain why so many FJ had the modified tunics. As far as what happened to them after their return is only a question that could be answered by the veterans themselves. I would suppose wear out of the items could be one reason or many not worn as they moved on to more colder climates. Who knows how many are still hanging in closets yet to be discovered.

Bill

Originally posted by paulmfjr2 View Post
                Hi Bill, I agree that the tan tunics in question are from captured stock, its just that I seem to be finding so many pics of them that there must have been a small factory of FJ tailors manufacturing them after the fall of Crete!!!!!! I can understand individual made items. But I have seen pics of platoon + strength all wearing the same tunic. Do you think that items wear manufactured/altered on mass? And the otherquestion is what happened to them afterwards as you don't see them in any later period photo's?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

As always wonderful photos Bill!!

My guess regarding the modified British tunics is that since they were not real standard Lw issue but reworked enemy material -and also issue Lw tropical clothing was already starting to be produced - they were probably discarded or recycled in some way.

Comment

kreta

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Denise\Meus documentos\Danilo\ss weapon\fall1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Hi Yannis,

Thanks and that is exactly what I'm saying that many of the captured stocks of British tropical khaki uniform items were being reworked/modified. Factory produced tropical uniforms did not make their presence until sometime after hositilities ended on Crete.

Bill

Originally posted by Yannis View Post
                      As always wonderful photos Bill!!

My guess regarding the modified British tunics is that since they were not real standard Lw issue but reworked enemy material -and also issue Lw tropical clothing was already starting to be produced - they were probably discarded or recycled in some way.

Comment

Here is a recently arrival New Arrivals - Feb09 - FJ
                        Attached Files

Comment

New Arrivals - Feb09 - FJ's with one wearing a Afrika cufftitle #1
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by W Petz; 02-11-2009, 08:18 PM.

Comment

<HR style="COLOR: #181b16; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #181b16" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
                            New Arrivals - Feb09 - FJ's with one wearing a Afrika cufftitle #2
                            Attached Files

Comment

New Arrivals - Feb09 - FJ's in Italy with a Pak36 #3
                              Attached Files

Comment

New Arrivals - Feb09 - FJ's #4
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                                X