Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats an awesome picture! Are those PoW's wearing the early dark blue tropical tunics in that one?

Comment

Maybe taken in a POW camp in Canada?......I have a similar one with same style barrack in background. Excellent photo w/ FJ or Kreta ring in wear as well.

Comment

Definitely not in Russia!

-Ray-

Comment

I'm thinking white painted barracks in the USA as I have also a similar photo with full uniform and decorations of the Fallschirmjaegers but I won't rule out Canada as well because early POW portraits in both locations show the wear of decorations. Unfortunately there is no writing on the reverse and not the usual CANADA or USA postcard.

Aug13 - FJ Portrait - 7 - Flak Badge & Kreta Cufftitle

Originally posted by 12thPanzer View Post
          Maybe taken in a POW camp in Canada?......I have a similar one with same style barrack in background. Excellent photo w/ FJ or Kreta ring in wear as well.
          Attached Files

Comment

By the way it's a FJ ring....here is a close up pic of it

Attached Files

Comment

Aug13 - FJ pic
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
                Aug13 - FJ POW Group Portrait - 6
                W Petz, that photo would have been taken at Camp 21 in Espanola, Ontario. I have a number of photographs taken at that same spot. I will say that that is the first time I've seen a group photo printed on that type of paper and it is interesting that the Photo ID number (which is usually on the left) has been cut out.

-Michael

Comment

Mike - Interesting you say that, as my photo is also from Espanola, which is what reminded me of Bill's photo. However I have also seen another camp in Canada that had similar Barracks as well. Will try to find it. Never personally seen the US ones like Bill said, but that is interesting to know too.
                  By the way Bill, thanks for sharing the close up of the FJ ring. Excellent detail. You've pulled some awesome FJ finds lately.

Here is newer acquisition I can share...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Bill,

Very Nice Portrait!

Here is a small snap of a Fallschirmjaeger with two other soldiers in civilian clothes wearing wound badges. Man on the right is a Panzermann wearing a black wound badge and the man on the left is wearing a silver wound badge. I posted this pic and three others in the Panzermanner thread.

Bill P

Mike - Interesting you say that, as my photo is also from Espanola, which is what reminded me of Bill's photo. However I have also seen another camp in Canada that had similar Barracks as well. Will try to find it. Never personally seen the US ones like Bill said, but that is interesting to know too.
                    By the way Bill, thanks for sharing the close up of the FJ ring. Excellent detail. You've pulled some awesome FJ finds lately.

Here is newer acquisition I can share...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by camo master View Post
                      I picked up a group of FJ photos. The backs say these were taken in Italy: Rome and Leros in October of '43.

Can someone help me with the unit these would be from.

Several of the soldiers in the photos have names called out on the back.

Any help greatly appreciated.
                      Mark

First pic shows a nice grouping of gear with both solid and camo helmet covers.
                      I have just seen two photographs posted in March 2011, with a request for information. Both were taken at Portolago (Lakki), Leros, in November 1943. These and many more images feature in a newly published book, Swastika over the Aegean. http://www.deutsches-afrika-korps.de...p?f=152&t=6281
                      Last edited by Tony R; 11-22-2013, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by camo master View Post
                        The back says Italien 1943, Rom Lt. Fellner - spelling could be off - difficult to read the writing.

Thanks
                        Mark
                        In the next post, Oberleutnant Fellner is mentioned. During the battle for Leros he was OC 2./Fallschirmjäger-Rgt.2.

Comment

Two photos of FJ in Italy at the Kampfeschule Fsch. Jg. Rgt. 11 - wear of Italien Camo jacket and trousers. 4th FJD? Location of school is unknown. I posted these two pics in another thread on unique camo.

Nov13 - FJ Italien Camo - 1 & 2
                          Attached Files

Comment

From the same source of the 2 pics above...
                            The senior officer should be Maj Kleye (DKIG), chief of the Kampfschule and of the I/FJR11. He died in combat at Anzio, on 10th February 1944.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some NCOs, probably from the Kampfschule staff...
                              It's interesting to see that Fliegerbluse and tropical jackets were worn at the same time.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Drill...
                                The 4FJD was a pseudo-Fallschirmjaeger Division. In fact, only part of his men actually made the 6 jumps. Many soldiers never got the badge or got the cloth version only, and their percentage out of the total increased as time went by.
                                In this picture, out of 10 men only four wear a paratrooper helmet, the others, probably drafted from various Luftwaffe units, wear the regular helmet (mod.35, 40 or 42).
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 23 users online. 0 members and 23 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X