Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions needed on FJ Helmet

Hello all,

I was wondering thoughts on this FJ helmet. It appears to have no decal. Thanks for any help on this.
    Attached Files

Nice genuine and late helmet

Comment

Thanks Sir

Comment

Originally posted by Wrxdustin View Post
        Thanks Sir
        Nice, authentic helmet. Lot number 4054?
        When you go home
        Tell them for us and say
        For your tomorrow
        We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
        Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Yes, looks like it must be with that thicker rim, interesting late war type.

Comment

This helmet hammered down at $2500 at the local auction in Linden, PA. in which it was featured. It was an ET68 but the lot number was not able to be discerned. It appeared to have two separate pairs of mismatched aluminum slotted bolts and its chinstrap was re-attached in a diagonal-type manner that would have made it impossible to secure to any head. Although unquestionably original, its liner was fooled around with.

Comment

Pretty cheap price then !
              Will have been stamped ckl68 as a later war helmet , especially with that more pronounced rim.

Comment

Does the fact that the liner and chinstrap were messed with, along with the mismatched pairs of slotted bolts, affect the value of this helmet? Opinions are solicited regarding this helmet's real world value.

Comment

Originally posted by smithman View Post
                  Does the fact that the liner and chinstrap were messed with, along with the mismatched pairs of slotted bolts, affect the value of this helmet? Opinions are solicited regarding this helmet's real world value.
                  The bolts are not mismatched. Many later war FJ helmets like this one were factory issued with vented aluminum bolts on the sides and solid aluminum bolts on the back. Many times the FJ disassembled the bolts to adjust the length of the chinstrap and re-placed the bolts in the wrong positions. Thus, Inam not particularly troubled by the fact that this helnet hsbthe vented aluminum bolts in the back. In this particular case, this helmet got messed with probably post war, but everything seems to be there and, judging by the condition of the chinstraps, liner and shell, probably original to each other. With some careful re-assembly, it could be put back into its factory-issued configuration.

PS. One half of the chinstrap (the one attached to the bolts) is correctly attached (what you describe as attacheed in a diagonal). Factory issued fj helmet did indeed have the chinstraps installed in a diagonal fashion.
                  When you go home
                  Tell them for us and say
                  For your tomorrow
                  We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                  Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Thanks WalterB. Looks like I should've stayed with this helmet a bit longer as it appears value is there.

Comment

I think dealers price them at around $ 4000-4,500. There was a similar one, also with Rbnr stamped liner , which sold recently on the Italian War Front website, it can still be seen on there ( also with the mixed bolts as Walter well explained)

Comment

I would have paid more for it. Love the late war rim and bolts!

Comment

I would have paid more . Easy fix. Love the late war rim and bolts

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                            I would have paid more . Easy fix. Love the late war rim and bolts
                            Yes, they do look good, I find them very interesting.

They must have made a lot of them, it's a lot number ( 4054) that I have seen the most of amongst the m38 para helmets...there really are a lot of them around...some really nice ones in camo too.

Comment

Helmet looks fine, other than perhaps some out nuts missing which caused 2 of the straps to come loose. Much cleaner ones have trouble selling at around $4500. To me, given I see so many FJ helmets like these up for sale at shows, small and large, the value is between $3000-$3500. Closer to the $3k number in fact.
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X