Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smock Rank Insignia

Giday,

I have a matching pair of sleeve rank insignia for a Leutnant comprising a single white coloured wing and bar mounted on a dark green coloured background. Can any one suggest what they would be worth?

All the best,

Ian

Luft. special rank insignia

Hi Ian,

If they are on Greunmeliert material and matching they are worth a lot. Because you say 'dark' green, I'm assuming they are not on the green of early smocks; can you post a photo of them?

Best,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Giday Jonnie,

Sorry, I don't have the ability to post pictures of the rank insignia.

In answer to your question, the background colour is similar to the dark green colour of splinter coloured jump smocks.

Must go.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Fj special rank insignia

For those interested, here is an unissued pair of Oberjager rank on the green material most early Luft. step-in jump smocks were made from. Early special rank for Fj is usually backed with this material. This pair was brought back from Tunisia by a US Sergeant of the 1st Armored Division.
        Last edited by John Hodgin; 03-20-2005, 08:52 PM.
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi again Ian, Just got back, again, had to run an errand. After ten in the evening is best this week.

The reason I haven't quoted a figure on your rank insignia is that it's near impossible to do correctly without seeing them. These are faked well. Modern Greunmeliert has been made for decades. I'm not used to seeing Fj special rank on anything but Greunmeliert. Of course the paras used all the other backings produced for the flying corps, but only the early green was expressly for jump smocks as far as I know.

best,
          John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi Guys,

I know I probably don't need to tell you John, but rank on dark green backing doesn't sound correct at all..certainly not for textbook FJ use.......not even normal Luftwaffe use. Have decided to post a few pics of some of my rank insignia. The pics did not come out as well (one day I need to ask you about camera stands) as I was hoping. The top one is an Oberjäger and Leutnant.......next are two more Oberjäger gulls........then a Hauptmann set and finally one for a Oberfeldwebel. Just showing some of the many variations to the Grünmeliert fabric.........but ALL having the correct 3 colors of thread construction. Certainly the textbook smock sleeve rank insignia is by far one of the rarest Third Reich insignia.......

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

special rank insignia

Fantastic examples Willi!
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Last edited by Gene; 11-29-2008, 09:18 PM.
                WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Here is an Obergefreiter chevron still sewn to a 1940 dated splinter step-in.

Cool chevron Gene! Looks like it is sewn to fabric that has two colors of thread....2 shades of green. You wouldn't have an extra one of those would you??

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Chevron and smock

Unusual fabric for the 40 dated step in Willi. It's not the "crisp" twill of the ones I seen. What is the maker? Perhaps the base material of the chevron is what Ian's rank is made from.

Best,
                    John
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Sorry Willi, it's my only one
                      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Well Gene, if it ever becomes homeless, please keep me in mind.

Here is a smock sleeve insignia for Oberst.

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

one more time.......

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi, Ian, Gene and others,

Ian, is your rank backed with material like Gene's chevron?

Willi, are all these from G.P.'s collection. I ask because a few concern me. Look at how precise Gene's wings are sewn on his General's pairs. In the eightys I was sent an olive step in from Germany. It was made of Greunmeliert with Leutnant's special rank on both sleeves. The rank and the smock were reproductions.

Best,
                              John
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X