demjanskbattlefield

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W Petz
    FJ in France next to sign
    Hi all
    Picture Number 861, a nice photo of a FJ in Brittany,maybe a man of the II FSCH. Korp...

Herlé

Comment

Here's the last image of a combat, hardened vet. Note the cufftitle (Kreta?) and the promotion to NCO rank also the unidentified medal above the Para badge. I wish there was some info on back of these photos to help ID this Para .
      -Chuck
      Last edited by para03; 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM.

Comment

with kameraden on leave...or could this be family/relatives?

Comment

that 1000 yard stare. Can only imagine what was on his mind....

Comment

another....note that he switched from the cloth to the metal Para badge..
            Last edited by para03; 01-05-2006, 04:02 PM.

Comment

another....

Comment

taken shortly after the last one.

Comment

OK, I'm going to try to switch these around and post them in reverse like Simon pointed out. With family? Note the cloth Para badge and pistol holster
                  -Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by para03
                    another image of the cloth FJ badge (note the pistol holster). Was it regulation for enlisted men to wear a sidearm?
                    Chuck

nice photos

If I am not mistaken early in the war all paras carried a sidearm since they jumped without any other weapon, just a pistol and some egg shaped grenades ie things that would fit in the pockets or could be worn under the smock.

All the best
                    Yannis

Comment

Here's one of his first pics in uniform posing for the camera with a smile. Not particularly interesting for some but if you compare it with the other images, it makes for an interesting study on the effects of war. Here he is smiling, just starting out his service in the Luftwaffe. By the last image, after hard campaigning and some awards, no more smiles even while on leave amongst friends and family. What do you think???

-Chuck

Comment

Thanks Yannis. Learn something new each day ...

Originally posted by Yannis
                        Chuck

nice photos

If I am not mistaken early in the war all paras carried a sidearm since they jumped without any other weapon, just a pistol and some egg shaped grenades ie things that would fit in the pockets or could be worn under the smock.

All the best
                        Yannis

Comment

Chuck,
                          Some nice photos, there, I suppose the subtle thing would have to posted those to in reverse, from a care free you man, to the combat hardened vet, with almost that thousand yard stare.

I can appreciate that, at times when pictures have either been ripped out from an album or split groupings it can be harder to identify them.

I can appreciate that with time and research this may be possible, possibly when I have a little more time on my hands and I am not away from home 95% of my time.

Anyway, here's another, again ripped out of an album with no identification on it

All I know is this a its brother I have, where taken in Italy
                          Attached Files
                          Regards
                          Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

This one I just thinks is nice as it reflects the childish side we all have.
                            Attached Files
                            Regards
                            Si

Comment

I know Simon, it would have been much more poignant if I posted the early images on top followed by the other images thus putting them in some sort of chronilogical order. I realized that after I posted the last image . Thanks for your comments. Great photo you posted

Originally posted by Simon 1964
                              Chuck,
                              Some nice photos, there, I suppose the subtle thing would have to posted those to in reverse, from a care free you man, to the combat hardened vet, with almost that thousand yard stare.

I can appreciate that, at times when pictures have either been ripped out from an album or split groupings it can be harder to identify them.

I can appreciate that with time and research this may be possible, possibly when I have a little more time on my hands and I am not away from home 95% of my time.

Anyway, here's another, again ripped out of an album with no identification on it

All I know is this a its brother I have, where taken in Italy

Comment

Chuck,

Still a great grouping though, its just when I first looked at number one I thought he was just a miserable SOB, but then

Sorry, Bill forgot to congratulate you on you never ending booty box and add some fine photos
                                Regards
                                Si

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 16 users online. 0 members and 16 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X