Dick Winter's Fallschirmschutzen-Handschuhe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Homer Hodge View Post
    although I really can't remember how long I've been collecting this junk.
    As you are an officer, and a gentleman, I sincerely apologize!

As to your quoted comment, I can't either.
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

IMO that price is completely ridiculous for german items brought back as souvenirs by a US vet, whoever he may be. This pricing is turning into a fashion contest instead of being concerned with military history.

JL

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Freiheit View Post
        Hope this isnt too far off topic, but i thought some of you might be interested to see this link to a browning hi-power being offered as a bring-back from Major Winters for big dollars.
        http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...b4d09461ab5936
        Serial number in pencil, so one can fill in what number one needs......,..

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
          IMO that price is completely ridiculous for german items brought back as souvenirs by a US vet, whoever he may be. This pricing is turning into a fashion contest instead of being concerned with military history.

JL
          Respectfully disagree Jean-Loup.

Though I have no personal interest or involvement, IMHO the price reflects precisely how much some value a very specific military history relative to a US 101st Airborne officer and hero.
          John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Winters

The HiPower and origination document are the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
              Respectfully disagree Jean-Loup.

Though I have no personal interest or involvement, IMHO the price reflects precisely how much some value a very specific military history relative to a US 101st Airborne officer and hero.
              John
              You might be right John, but right now the "some" that value these items are the sellers. We will see if they actually sell. The pistol price is especially outrageous as High Powers like this one can be found all day for $800.00 to $1000.00 tops.
              best wishes,
              jeff
              Looking for a 30 '06 Chauchat magazine.

Comment

Do a little bit of shopping around for prices on paratrooper gloves, prices shouldn't and aren't really posted around the forum.

[/QUOTE]

PAO...I'm curious, why shouldn't prices be posted or discussed on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                  As you are an officer, and a gentleman, I sincerely apologize!

As to your quoted comment, I can't either.
                  When I first met one of my friends whom kind of looks like he might be a part of the old gray beard club that if he could remember when he started collecting. He could remember?
                  So I ask him if it was after the Civil War when the army discharged him?
                  We have been close friends every since.

SOS was the best place I ever observed a "Senior" moment.
                  My buddy and I was standing back and talking after going thru the room. Then all of sudden simultaneously two old dudes deep into their 60s took off like a bat out of hell thru the crowded isles full of people. Cutting corners, sprinting, and zig zagging. All the time looking at each other to see how close the other man was to the table they were running across the room to.
                  Oh.... the balding "dunlap" got to the camo helmet first. The other old dude standing there all forlorn and wishing his white velcro tennis shoes could have got him there faster. Now that was something to see!
                  They are hoot to watch

Comment

I hope the seller of these gloves donates the money to charity

john

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff V View Post
                      You might be right John, but right now the "some" that value these items are the sellers. We will see if they actually sell. The pistol price is especially outrageous as High Powers like this one can be found all day for $800.00 to $1000.00 tops.
                      best wishes,
                      jeff
                      Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure that that from the collecting standpoint that that HiPower is just a HiPower any more than those gloves are just gloves.

I think most of us collect and value the things that we find interesting. If the "Band of Brothers" story, or the 101st Airborne Division in WW2 or anything related to that falls into ones band of key interests then Major Winters' things have additional historical significance.

Having first hand experience with almost all of Major Winters' non-US war souvenirs (and some of the US ones) I can tell you that it is a relatively small group of things. The number of collectors that would be dearly interested in them would far outnumber their quantity.

Also, almost all of the material is paper-pedigreed (identically) with Maj Winters signature. Any handwriting (besides his) is readily identifiable by me (since it is mine) and I can also cross reference any item with this type of pedigree to my master list of everything that was pedigreed this way (since I did it all back ,I think in 1995, and kept records of everything that was there)

So while I would agree that to some people it would have limited additional appeal beyond just the "standard valuation" to many others any piece of this lot would be a collection centerpiece.

Anyway, I think that individualized history of pieces, when available and verifiable, is one of the basic forces that drives prices of the stuff that we all enjoy.

John

Comment

"Though I have no personal interest or involvement, IMHO the price reflects precisely how much some value a very specific military history relative to a US 101st Airborne officer and hero."

Fair enaugh John, as I always hear: "an item is worth as much as somebody is ready to pay for it".
                        But I find the whole Dick Winters and 101 aspect a bit irritating: There were many other great units and great soldiers in WW2, and I find the disproportionates amount of attention the 101 gets unfair to all the other units and vets.

JL

Comment

[quote=Jean-Loup;3419737But I find the whole Dick Winters and 101 aspect a bit irritating: There were many other great units and great soldiers in WW2, and I find the disproportionates amount of attention the 101 gets unfair to all the other units and vets.
                          JL[/quote]

I agree with that 100%. So do all the 505th PIR veterans of the 82nd Airborne that I have met in Normandy and in the Ardennes. Or FJs on Kreta. Could go on and on.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I think Dick Winters would be the first to say he isnt a hero,Just a soldier doing his Job and what he was told to do.The MOH connection is far greater for me than the 101 Para thing....Lots of soldiers should have gotten Medals but as with any war Actions get lost,soldiers die and along with that goes their stories.

Does anyone have Info on what he (winters) brought back...I know Bando has alot on his site but I never paid attention to if any connections to Winters or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                              "Though I have no personal interest or involvement, IMHO the price reflects precisely how much some value a very specific military history relative to a US 101st Airborne officer and hero."

Fair enaugh John, as I always hear: "an item is worth as much as somebody is ready to pay for it".
                              But I find the whole Dick Winters and 101 aspect a bit irritating: There were many other great units and great soldiers in WW2, and I find the disproportionates amount of attention the 101 gets unfair to all the other units and vets.

JL
                              Jean-Loup, I understand, and also agree with Willi's larger point. Have many veteran friends, many who I would describe as heros. And no, Winters would not describe himself as a hero. But I would.

Regardless, the larger point is the value of the gloves are not about your opinions, or what you think, or Willi's opinion's on them, or anyone else commenting here.

The gloves are about the new owner, whoever he may be, and how he feels about them. Am quite sure he is pleased with his new acquisition, and that the price has little impact in regards to the pleasure he has owning a significant piece of history related to both Fallschirmjäger and the US 101st. And though I do not know who the new owner is, I believe and hope, that he appreciates them for their history. And not the base reasons many on this thread, who are also just as clueless to his intentions, have somehow felt they can attribute to the buyer, that they somehow know more than he, and have a right to judge his reasons for buying.

Generally, those who live to judge others lives, are missing something in their own. And Jean-Loup, this is not meant for you.

John
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by john hodgin View Post
                                the gloves are about the new owner, whoever he may be, and how he feels about them. Am quite sure he is pleased with his new acquisition, and that the price has little impact in regards to the pleasure he has owning a significant piece of history related to both fallschirmjäger and the us 101st.
                                Exactly!
                                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X