Unusual Erinnerungskarten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Erinnerungskarten

I received in the mail last week a most interesting Erinnerungskarten. It includes a nice photograph of the Fallschirmjäger who was killed. He is wearing a camouflaged jump smock that includes shoulder boards.

Two gull devices are attached to the right lapel, while a skull device is attached to the left lapel. The latter I believe suggests that the Fallschirmjäger was a member of a Sturmgeschütz-Batterie.

The jäger is also wearing the Fallschirmschutzenabzeichen, Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Silber and the Erdkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe.

I acknowledge that some Fallschirmjäger were awarded the Ifanterie-Sturmabzeichen while serving in Fallschirmjäger units that were assigned during the final stages of the war to infantry divisions. However, the wearing of both combat badges at the same time I believe suggests that this Fallschirmjäger was most likely a member of an infantry regiment prior to joining a Fallschirmjäger regiment. what do you think?

I have sent a copy of the Erinnerungskarten to Eric in the hope that he can post a copy of same on the forum. Given that mail between Australia and the US can take as long as ten days, It may be a while before you get to see a copy of the Erinnerungskarten.

All the best,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Is his name Otto Asboeck? If so, I have the same card. He was 18 and a half when he got killed on 14 Nov '44 in Holland (in a hospital). Also has an EK2 ribbon on his smock.........and a very unmilitary zippered jacket under his smock. To me, it looks like he came home and added everything he was entitled to wear to his smock and had a photo taken.

Regards,

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Giday Willi,

How are you? I hope that you are well.

Like you, I have the same card. The name of the Fallschirmjäger is Otto Asböck.

Have you done any research into the war service of Otto asböck?

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,

All is well........I heard you and George went down to that museum and determined that the smock was bogus....to bad, it looked like it might have been a Kreta pickup.

On Asböck all I have is what was on the card. Hve not done any other research. Does yours also have his brother Rudolf on the other half of the card???

Regards,

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Giday Willi,

Yes, my card also includes a photograph of Otto's brother Rudolf.

Do you have photographs of the smock that is on display at the Australian War Memorial? If not I can send you some.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X