Paratroopers wearing the Narvikschild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paratroopers wearing the Narvikschild

Photographs of paratroopers wearing the Narvikschild tend to be difficult to find. I imagine the obvious reason it there weren't that many awarded to paratroopers to begin with, and in many cases, the awards took place AFTER opperation MERKUR ( Kreta )where many of the early paratroopers from I./FJR1 ( who took part in the Narvik and Dombas opperations ) were killed. Here is one of the better original photos I have of a paratrooper wearing the schild.

Photos of former army paratroopers wearing the Narvikschild are impossible to find ( simply because 99% of them did not participate in these opperations ( most were moved to II./FJR1 not I./FJR1 ). This is the only photo that I know of of a former army paratrooper wearing the Kretaschild ( and its not a very good one: not showing the badge, not a great view of the schild.)
    Ernst Moessinger was one of the very few former army guys who was eligible for the award. He was with Schmidt at the Dombas railway station and is referred to in Schmidts book as "Lt.M" ( he was also called
    "die Nase" ( the Nose ) by guys in the FIK because of his huge honker. Interesting that the schild is being worn on the white summer tunic with no backing material.Also notice the army eagle being worn ( not the luftwaffe )

Here is his document for the EK from Dombas.Notice the "Oslo" notation where it was awarded.

Hoping others will post more Narvikschild related material.

Thanks

[ 07 January 2002: Message edited by: Eric Queen ]

[ 07 January 2002: Message edited by: Eric Queen ]

Eric,

Some cool pictures. Here is a pic of an unknown FJ wearing a Narvik and a Kreta, along with the normal and a tropical overseas.

Here are 3 documents to the Sanitäts Oberjäger of 1./FJR1. He is mentioned in Schimdt's "Die Fallschirmjäer von Dombas". Rachold jumped into Dombas (EK2), was captured, released, jumped into Narvik (EK1). Note the same date and signature as Eric's EK2. I also have this guy's "Kreta", "Afrika", Erd Kampf, black wound and KVK2 with swords.

I have a few pictures of Rachold, but all appear to be pre-Narvik.

Glück ab,

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Sorry for the oversize documents. Eric just taught me yesterday how to post photos, and I don't quite have my scanning size figured out yet.

Willi
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,

I am sure you'll get the hang of it after a couple of trys. No problem.

Back to the matter at hand. A really outstanding document set and extremely rare to see both the EK1 & EKII from Dombas ( or any of the low country opperations )

The portrait photo is fantastic as well. One of the better ones I have seen. I would kill
        for one of an army guy ( wearing the schild )
        but doubt it will ever happen. Here is one of Moessinger probably taken before the awarding of the schild.

Thanks again for posting. Some great pieces.

EQ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X