Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relation towards this flight log

hello,

Now lets give a bit background on Olt. Kellner. As you guys are already aware he was one of the glider pilots of the attack squad from the 1./ Luftlande Sturmregt.

He was not a beloved officer with his comrades and the background for this was a Uffz. training course at Harzgerode in the first months of 1941. As a newly promoted officer (before: Feldwebel) he was appointed to lead this course. Due to the sadistic way of training the soldiers no less then 3 participants died during the course and the course was canceled.

For example: a Joung soldier had become ill and was visited by the doctor who said he had to stay in bed. During the next morning appel the leader of the course (kellner) did notice the missing man, he order to see why the person was missing.

They found the young man ill, Kellner however found not that the young man was ill enough and a discussion followed in wich he blamed the young soldier and told that he might as well be dead right away. He found a way of punishing => he order to build a deathcoffin and put the young men in it (still alive + quite ill). He then order that a ceremonial burial was to be held with all honours, etc ... and after this ceremonial he left the coffin standing outside for no less then hour at minus 10 and 15 ° c.

Due to the causes of this mistreating the young (already ill) soldier died a few days afterwards.

This is only one example, there can be given 2 more real examples. After the thrid "accident" the course was put towards a end and kellner was to be put before court.

he was lucky in that way that the kreta mission was there and he was put into this mission. As we know now he was KIA during the first day of the battle and that did spare him military court etc ...

As 2 veterans (and participants of the "Uffz. - Lehrgang") did confirm me about this officer " Ein Himmelstoss war in den Himmel gestossen worden " . he migth have been brave (?) in the battle but as it seems he was not a very good and caring officer.

Cordial greetings,
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Hi David,

How could you explain that LS 3 and his JU 52 took off from Eleusis and
      not from Tanagra.

The entry I posted are connected to the same mission as yours but the
      JU 52 Code H4 took off from Tanagra.

For mission they are using the term Sturmregiment KOCH SMG Gruppe.. could you explain that.

JYN

Comment

flight

Hello JY,

According towards the entry this one did also start from Athen - Tanagra (see the flightbook entry) / where did you see or read Eleusis?

I can't explain why there is written "Sturmregiment KOCH SMG Gruppe", as for the simple fact i have never encountered a second one so can't compare. A second glider flight log could bring light in this.

Cordial greetings,

Comment

David,

The image you did post was so small that I red Eleusis...

JYn

Comment

Stijn- Congrts on a great find (and getting it) and expanding your outstanding understanding of these glider troops....well done

Comment

gliders at crete

Hello,

Indeed the image was quite small and i also had some troubles inr eading it first, so no need to worry

As it does not seem that there are much glider flight logs from Crete arround we can mayby give this thread a extra dimension with posting pictures from the different gliders (both wrecks as complete ones) and try to ID them towards the different strike forces?

Cordial greetings,

Comment

LS8 (Genz' force)

Comment

LS4 or LS5 (Genz' force)

Comment

LS6 (Genz's force)

Comment

Giday everyone,

Thank you WJW for posting three fascinating images of gliders used by the 1st Kompanie of the Luftlande Sturm Regiment during the invasion of Crete.

Stijn, the numbers painted on the side of each glider used by Sturmgruppe Genz when compared with the numbers painted on the sides of gliders used by other groups look quite different. The numbers painted on the gliders used by Sturmgruppe Genz are rather large and are rather crude. The colour looks to be a very light colour, possibly white. What do you think?

I believe that a shell fired by one of the AA guns hit a wing of glider No. 8, which was carrying Oberjäger Hahn's section. As a consequence the glider came crashing down upon one of the AA guns.

Unfortunately Hahn and the pilot, Klimke, were killed by MG fire from the battery while attempting to exit the glider, while five of the remaining Fallschirmjäger suffered broken arms and legs arising from the hard landing.

Volkmar Kuhn in his book on the Fallschirmjäger makes refers to an Obergefrieter Holzmann who apparently survived the landing and attacked the gun emplacement with a grenade.

Does anyone have any information about Hans Holzmann? I am particularly interested in any information that confirms that Hans Holzmann was a member of the 1st Kompanie of the Luftlande Sturm Regiment.

Well this will have to do for now.

Best wishes,

Ian

Comment

very interesting

Hello,

Thank you for sharing tehse pictures, these are most interesting to say at least.

Indeed the numbers look rather crudely painted and i have no explanation on that for the moment. Mayby they where quickly painted on the front shortly before the mission on itself? Could we get a close up on the different numbers ? About the colours, that is also a very difficult one => mayby white or yellow?

How do you know that these gliders did belong towards the Genz section?

Cordial greetings,

Comment

Hi Stijn

Congrats on your superfind - its allmost like sitting in the cokpit that gruesome day. Having just recieved my first worn "Kreta" cufftitle and my first Fallschirmjäger badge I know how you must feel

By the way I was I Crete "Chania" 4 years ago and was quite surprised when I realized that there was a huge memorial for the fallen F.Jäger less than 100 meters from my swimmingpool. It consisted of a really large fallscirmjäger eagle on a pidestal. I bought a book about the attack on Crete and was at once fascinated by the story this exotic and blody campaign.

Cheers Thomas Bendixen

Comment

Genz

"How do you know that these gliders did belong towards the Genz section?"

>> They're from an album of a FJ Ojg who was in Genz's detachment.
                            WJW

Comment

Giday everyone,

For those who share my interest in Sturmabteilung Koch, the Oberjäger WJW is referring to was previously a member of Sturmgruppe Stahl.

Best wishes,

Ian

Comment

Olt. genz's Section

Hello,

Thank you for the explanation, are there more glider pictures available from this person?

Any chance of posting some close ups from the painted numbers on the gliders?

Cordial greetings,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X