Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unit identification help for PAB and Ek2 holder

Hello!

I have spent some frustrating time over a recently acquired Soldbuch belonging to a
    Obergefreiter Willi Kirschner. It appears that this gentlemen, holder of the PAB in bronze, an EK 2, and a black wound badge, not to mention a crossed out kvk2 and westwall medal has successfully eluded me and has exhausted my capabilities at searching the lexicon translated and google. The original stellar believed the man to be part of the Russian front with the Schützen-Regiment 52 yet there is no sign of an ost medal in the award section. Through my searching I have put Willi in southern Italy with the 15.pz. Division. (Pz. Gr. Ers. Btl.104) the only issue with my theory is that the POW code at the front is strictly numbers and not the typical American Coded letters and numbers. I have provided a couple pictures, any help would be great thanks.

Brett
    Attached Files

His award page.
    Attached Files

Comment

His absolute last, TR related stamp occurs on Aug 14 1944 at a Lazerrette
      Attached Files

Comment

What are the units on page 4?
        Jeff

Comment

His last unit appears to be Feldersatz Bataillon 553 which was part of 553 Volks Gren.Div. Gren.Ers.Btl. 109 provided replacements for the same Division.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...nen/553VGD.htm

/Ian
          Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Hello Ian,

Thank you for clarifying the matter, would he be part of the 15.pz. that retreated through italy after the allied invaision? I'm currently at school but will provide pictures of his previous units on page four. WWould there be any explanation for the crossed out awards at all and because he was awarded the PAB would he have been part of an armoured non tank unit? and if so what could he have been a team on? half tracks, moptorcycle, PUMA, armouured car, kubel, schwimm, etc etc

all the best,
            Brett

Comment

Page 4 of the Soldbuch
              Attached Files

Comment

Well, he was with the Schutzen Rgt 52 but it looks like that was in 1940. He was then with Schutzen Rgt. 126 but that becomes Panzergrenadier Rgt 126 in July 19942. It appears he was with no other combat units before the name change except Felders. Btl 553 and that would be in late 1944 when the 553 Volksgrn. Div came into being.
                Jeff

Comment

Would it be safe to assume that he made it out of the Kurland pocket and moved to the western front taking part in the Lorraine campaign with the 553 Volksgrn. Div?

Originally posted by JUNGCO View Post
                  Well, he was with the Schutzen Rgt 52 but it looks like that was in 1940. He was then with Schutzen Rgt. 126 but that becomes Panzergrenadier Rgt 126 in July 19942. It appears he was with no other combat units before the name change except Felders. Btl 553 and that would be in late 1944 when the 553 Volksgrn. Div came into being.
                  Jeff

Comment

Nice Soldbuch!

what is the man's birth date?

Comment

14/5/1920 which would put his enlistment age at a couple months shy of his 20th birthday.

Originally posted by naxos View Post
                      Nice Soldbuch!

what is the man's birth date?

Anyone have any ideas about the crossed out awards?

Comment

Originally posted by Beattie-B View Post

Anyone have any ideas about the crossed out awards?
                        The K.V.K. entry was crossed out because the award was incorrect and had to be corrected to Verwundeten Abz. in schw.. - Note the same date and the abbreviations before the Lt signature- it reads: "gestrichen berichtigt" - meaning: crossed out (and) corrected.

No idea why the Schutzwall medal was scratched.

The reason for no Ost medal is probably because the man came to the eastern front in or after the Spring of 1942
                        Last edited by naxos; 09-20-2014, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Brett,

You might want to post some more pictures, it might give a better indication of a timeline. Was he issued any equipment in late 1944?

Agree with Naxos about the awards.

Jared
                          Last edited by JBGracing; 09-20-2014, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Posting his lazarette pages,
                            Attached Files

Comment

His equipment pages appears completely filled and fixed at one point.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X