No announcement yet.

Unit identification help for PAB and Ek2 holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't think much of this stamp at first but I realized its from December 1943 but still doesn't bridge much of the gap from 43 to late 44
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JBGracing View Post
      You might want to post some more pictures, it might give a better indication of a timeline
      As mentioned by Jared, a timeline!

In period documents analysing Soldbücher they use a time line.....jot down the dates, units etc. and you can see where he was and when......doing it on a timeline is often better than referring page to page.

Regarding the West Wall Medal, he probably was not entitled to that and that also was in error....normally awards that are struck out are those awarded by foreign nations as it was forbidden to wear some of them later in the war.

Incidentally, is there a photo in the Soldbuch? If so, is he wearing any awards?

I have a Wehrpass that has all manner of awards for the Spanish Civil War which are crossed out....simply as he was not there and not entitled to the them.....the clerk must have picked up the wrong Wehrpass!

/Ian
      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Here is an example of a "worksheet" or timeline from "The Exploitation of German Documents"....

As you can see it is broken down into year, date, unit and entry.......
        Attached Files
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Ian, thanks for posting the timeline example.

Brett,

With the entries shown, he may have earned the PAB in bronze with the 15.Pz Gren Div in Italy.

In late 1944 he was discharged from Res. Laz. Idstein on 15.8.44. He was then given a Gensesungurlaub that lasted until 30.8.44. I believe when he returned to duty it is likely that he reported to Gren Ers Batl 104. Wasn't there long before he was sent to Feldersatz Batl 553. As stated earlier, FeB 553 was a part of the 553 Gren Div/553 VGD which went into action in the Nancy area in September '44. Below is an excerpt from a POW interrogation report dated 25 September 1944. It mentions Lanfroicourt which is about 25 minutes from Nancy.

So I believe it is likely your guy was captured in Eastern France.

Jared
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jared,

Firstly, thank you for putting the time into giving me so much detail about Willi, I certainly didn't expect the trove of information your provided. Secondly I'm curious as to how you found that report you added.

Lastly I was curious if there are any ways of learning to read the German handwritting of the time as I sometimes find it incredibly difficult to read some of it with it scrunched together and also if there are any books worth picking up regarding german Id's as I already own a copy of Scapini's Wehrpass and Soldbuch of the Wehrmacht.

All the best,
            Brett

Originally posted by JBGracing View Post
            Ian, thanks for posting the timeline example.

Brett,

With the entries shown, he may have earned the PAB in bronze with the 15.Pz Gren Div in Italy.

In late 1944 he was discharged from Res. Laz. Idstein on 15.8.44. He was then given a Gensesungurlaub that lasted until 30.8.44. I believe when he returned to duty it is likely that he reported to Gren Ers Batl 104. Wasn't there long before he was sent to Feldersatz Batl 553. As stated earlier, FeB 553 was a part of the 553 Gren Div/553 VGD which went into action in the Nancy area in September '44. Below is an excerpt from a POW interrogation report dated 25 September 1944. It mentions Lanfroicourt which is about 25 minutes from Nancy.

So I believe it is likely your guy was captured in Eastern France.

Jared

Comment

I found an article concerning the LVIII Panzer Corps that the 15. Pz was fighting with and noticed this as it fits the timeline, but its more or less speculation.

*After further research (http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com...luneville.aspx) It's safe to assume Willi at age 24 was captured during the battle of Arracourt, assuming that he was trained as some sort of mechanized part of the unit it must have been fascinating fighting alongside the The Fifth Panzer Army’s Panthers!!

Just wanted to extend a huge thank you too everyone that helped in identifying his final fighting unit! Not to mention Ian's charting for future endeavors! Thanks a lot guys!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Beattie-B; 09-21-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X