SS Pz Brig. Westfalen KIA Soldbuch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Pz Brig. Westfalen KIA Soldbuch

One of my favorites, a late war soldbuch to Hans Koschwitz.

He started out in Prague (4-11-44) with Pz Gr. AuE Batl 2 then quickly transfered to Pz Inst. AuE Abt in Sennelager/Paderborn. He was an engineer of some type in civilian life and someone saw fit to put him to work fixing panzers.

With the Americans approaching Paderborn, the SS Panzer Brigade Westfalen was put together using the training units around Paderborn, the schw. Pz Abt 507 was added also.

Hans was killed April 1, 1945 and buried at Augustdorf, leaving behind his wife at the age of 34.

From what little I have found on this unit is that he was probably killed in the fighting south of Paderborn on that date.

I do have a question about the date on the bottom right hand corner on page 1, what is it about? II/SS ers.kp 19.9.47
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Two photos came in the back of the soldbuch, one of a Stug, on the back is written "Im Vormarsch". The other I would think is his mother.
      Attached Files

Comment

The hand writing on page one you are asking for I read II or IV / SS erl.(edigt) - completed and

than followed by an abbreviated signature (initials).

Gerdan

Comment

Thank you, any idea what that is about?

Maybe when it was processed or sent to the family after the war?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Luke View Post

Maybe when it was processed or sent to the family after the war?
            I think you are right about that Lee !

Looking at his and her face, it could indeed be his mother.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Comment

Interesting one Lee. I remember seeing this one offered on the estand some time ago.... Is it possible to see a close-up shot/scan of the StuG.III? It looks like an earlier ausf.B/C/D?

Rob

Comment

no pic
                Last edited by Lee Luke; 02-23-2013, 01:17 AM. Reason: picture fail

Comment

finally

Close up
                  Attached Files

Comment

Great piece of history thanks for sharing.. regards, Johnno.

Comment

I finally got my hands on "SS Panzer Brigade Wesfahlen" by Wilhelm Tieke. Excellent read.

From what I can find, Koschwitz was probably fighting with Kampfgruppe Augustdorf, defending the northern end of the Sennelager Training Area, north of Paderborn, since he is buried at Augustdorf.

A quote from Tieke's book -

"Paderborn was taken by the US 3rd Amored Division on 1 April. At 1905 hours, the commander of the Senne Training Area, Generalmajor Goerbig, reported the following to the acting Generalkommando VI:

The local commander[Hauptmann Dettmar] is holding the northern outskirts of Paderborn. Enemy is exerting heavy pressure with armor and strong infantry forces. Kampfgruppe Merks wiped out by superior enemy forces. SS-Einheit Uhden three quarters wiped out. Salzkotten, Lippstadt, and Geseke occupied by the enemy. Enemy tank attacks with infantry on Augustdorf and the North Camp repelled four times; two enemy tanks knocked out. Heavy enemy fire on the Neuhaus-Camp Senne road. Bad Lippspringe, Neuenbeken and Altenbeken clear of the enemy"

That evening Kampfgruppe Augustdorf was to block the Doren Gorge and the pass northwest of Hidessen.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Lee-

Thanks for posting the requested close-up scan of the StuG!

Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X