Fallschirmjäger Sniper Soldbuch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallschirmjäger Sniper Soldbuch

Only a few weeks after finding the Jäger sniper Soldbuch that I recently posted on the forums, I got even luckier by finding this other sniper Soldbuch, to a Fallschirmjäger, Georg Strommer.

The Soldbuch was started in October 1943. Strommer originally served as an airplane mechanic with the Luftlande-Geschwader 2, based in France: Orange, Istres, Haguenau and Nancy. After the Allied landing in Normandy and the retreat of German forces from France, his I. Gruppe was disbanded in Nancy on September 9th, 1944. Strommer was then admitted to Fallschirmschule 4 in Salzwedel. After a short training of 3 weeks, he was sent to the 11. Kompanie of Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 5 of the 3. Fallschirmjäger-Division, as it was being reformed near Oldenzaal after its destruction in Normandy. This division was immediately fighting on the Western Front, in the battle of the Hürtgenwald. Later, they were moved southward to the area of Bütgenbach-Lanzerath (Belgium), where the division prepared to participate in the Ardennes offensive. On December the 4th, 1944, Strommer was moved to the 14. Kompanie (Panzerjäger). A few days later, he was wounded by shrapnell, and arrived in hospital just one week before the start of the offensive. He received the Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz. When he was released from hospital, Strommer was admitted in a Scharfschützen-Ausbildungs-Kompanie, late February 1945. Great stamps in the Soldbuch for his sniper equipment: K43, Zielfernrohr, Behälter, Reinigungsgerät 34, one magazine pouch, three magazines, and 20 shots of ammunition. He received a promotion to Gefreiter while he was still in the sniper school on April 20th, 1945. Though he could have seen some action in the final weeks of the war, this is the last wartime entry in the Soldbuch. Strommer was taken a POW and received Wehrsold as late as February 1946.

I have two questions relating to this Soldbuch:
    - Can anyone with access to more detailed unit histories, tell me a bit more about the activities of Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 5 in the early days of December 1944, when Strommer was wounded? Were they still in the area of Düren (Hürtgen), or were they already on the Belgian-German border near Bütgenbach?
    - Is anyone able to read the name of the Scharfschützen-Ausbildungskompanie (something like 'Dainen'?), and is there more information to be found about this specific school?
    Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Portrait and promotion to Gefreiter while with the Scharfschützen-Ausbildungskompanie.
    Attached Files

Comment

Units, with the Scharfschützen-Ausbildungs-Kompanie as his last wartime unit (though there's no end date), and a post-war POW unit on page 17.
      Attached Files

Comment

Equipment.
        Attached Files

Comment

More equipment. Notice he was issued a Fallschirmjäger-Bluse and Fallschirmjäger-Hose, first time on September 13th, 1944, and a second time on January 10th, 1945, while in hospital.
          Attached Files

Comment

His Western Front wound, and the resulting Verwundetenabzeichen.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great sniper gear entries on page 21.
              Attached Files

Comment

And last, a closeup of the two Scharfschützen-Ausbildungskompanie entries.
                Attached Files

Comment

Great score - hard to find a similar one

Comment

Yes, a very nice find.

Comment

Tim, that is a superb Soldbuch!! The K43 entries are amazing! If you ever need to move this one......

I will look for your other thread, and find some info on FJR5.
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thank you Christian, Lee and Willi.
                        Looking forward to hear a bit more about the FJR5 in the first days of December.

Comment

Very nice score Tim

Rob

Comment

Hi Tim,

Nice catch!
                            I used to own a FJR5 group aswell, and I have written a report about this regiment here.
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=532514

I have many informations about the 3rd FJD, but I am sorry it's to much to look it all up.

But I have some book tips for you.
                            If you buy the book Vergangenheit auf der Spur, by Fritz Roppelt it shows all the information you need. There might even be a chance that this man is mentioned as well. There many name's and stories are written in the book. Roppelt was a veteran in this division, and wrote this book of 700 pages, he didn't managed to finish it before his death. His daughter put all the information he had gathered in a book and published it. The book is full with detailed information about fights, locations and persons. But it's not put in a research-friendly order, there all the pages and notes are simply put together and was published this way.

Another book is Opfergang Deutscher Fallschirmjäger by Rudi Frühbeisser, this book is written day by day, but it is mostly about the FJR9 where Frühbeisser served in.

By the looks of it (out of my head) your man was wounded near Merode/Langerwehe. And didn't fought at the BotB, there the 3rd FJD stayed near Düren untill 1 or 2 days before the offensive. However some parts of the division stayed there until the 18th of December I believe, when the offensive had allready started. I believe it were elements of the FAR3.
                            If youre guy was wounded around the 8th or 9th of December by the looks of the hospital page, he was most definitly wounded at Langerwehe/Merode. Around that time the two towns where given up while the Americans had broken through there lines, and the FJR5 frontline shifted towards Obergeich I believe.

Best regards,

Nick
                            Last edited by 5thFallschirm.; 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Nick for that detailed information. A very interesting reading indeed. So my guy was a 100% Hürtgen man.
                              Anyone an idea on the sniper unit?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X