This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every prisoner of war camp in the UK mapped and listed

There have been lists for a while but this have just cropped up with a downloadable spreadsheet of which I have attached.....put a filter on so that is is easily sorted.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...s-uk?fb=native

/Ian
    Attached Files
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Thanks Ian, very useful.

Comment

Good afternoon Ian, there was a pow camp near my home village on the border between Calver and Stoney Middleton in Derbyshire ... it isn't on the list you kindly uploaded. The camp was used to supply labour to the local farms (Italians, who were free to pretty much wander at will) and were fed by the farmers and also Germans who worked in the local quarry (under much stricter guard) some were more trusted and worked on the farms too.

After the war my late step-father worked for years with one of the German prisoners who married and chose to stay in the area after the war ... he was called Otto Lens (sp?) a very short guy who supposedly came from a u-boat crew ... ironically my step-dad was on sub-chasers.

There's still quite a large Italian community in Chesterfield (the nearest town) where the 'Eyeties' from the camp went to live.

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Ian,

Was this a camp or a satalite camp? There were some smaller camps in the village I am from and in surrounding area but they actually came under Camp 81 in Brigg. They are not listed independently.

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Perhaps it was as you say a sub-camp and came under Sudbury (near Ashbourne) or Belper ?

Ian

Comment

Eden Camp

Eden camp in Yorkshire is still there just as it was. I believe it was a Luftwaffe camp and many of the prisoners worked in local farms.
            Many of the prisoners remained in Yorkshire after that time and their families are still in the area.

It's now a museum, you start in hut 1 which shows you the rise of Nazism and each hut takes you through the war until hut 19 (I think)

Great day out!

Lee

Comment

Yes it is Lee,

Camp 83 ....been there many times....even with ex PoW's from camp 81 in Brigg that used to work on my families farm and billeted near the pub!

Eden Camp

/Ian

Comment

Hi,
                my Father was to young for the war,but he had to do national service and he looked after German POW's in Yorkshire.He told me that most of them didnt wont to go home,that the food was good here and there they wouldn't have gotten any back in Germany.He also told me that one year the snow was so high that it almost cover the tops of the telephone poles...
                He never told me the name of the POW camp.

Comment

Thanks Ian for posting, as always greatly appreciated
                  Si
                  Regards
                  Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

I was interested to read the few posts on Eden camp as I have a number of letters from a POW there from 1947. In 1948 he gives his address as E.R.A.E.C. Hostel. Does anyone know what the letters stand for.

His rank is given as Gefreiter, would it have been usual for somebody of that rank to be still a POW in 1948. I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that he wanted to go home as he has a wife there.

thanks

Comment

Ian, many thanks for sharing this information.

Comment

Originally posted by cesky67 View Post
                        I was interested to read the few posts on Eden camp as I have a number of letters from a POW there from 1947. In 1948 he gives his address as E.R.A.E.C. Hostel. Does anyone know what the letters stand for.

His rank is given as Gefreiter, would it have been usual for somebody of that rank to be still a POW in 1948. I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that he wanted to go home as he has a wife there.

thanks
                        East Riding Alien Enemy Combatants Hostel - is a total guess, the East Riding bit may be true as Eden Camp is in that part of Yorkshire.

Comment

Simon sorry for the late reply, when nobody had answered after a month I had given up and then forgot about it until now. So thanks for suggestion I'll follow your logic on it and see what I come up with.

regards
                          Cesky

Comment

Hi Cesky,
                            Know what you mean, sometimes research projects can go dormant when progress is slow. As regards why he was still in England in 1948 when he had family in Germany, maybe he had been able to get a paid job and was trying to accrue some funds to take home.
                            Good luck!

Best,
                            Simon

Comment

There were a lot more than the ones listed, my fathers farm had Italian POWS & a chapel at Norley near Delamere Cheshire in the UK.
                              We burned what was left of the Nissan huts & turned the chapel in to a house in the 1990s

Locals used to talk of the Italians working on local farmlands, I know there was a a POW camp at Tarporley which is now a golf club & also a lot of Italians at Pickmere camp near Northwich Cheshire, some stayed after the war & remember stories of them taking about being treated badly when the British troops returned home.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X