The German Cross in Gold with Diamonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The German Cross in Gold with Diamonds

In the Ordenskundliche Sammlung Klietmann there is some interesting information regarding the German Cross in Gold with Diamonds. Klietmann used, from what I can see, some of this information in his book “Auszeichnungen des Deutschen Reiches 1936-1945”.

In a letter to the „Archiv für Ordenskunde und Ordenslexikon“, dated June 17, 1955, Heinrich Doehle states that the “Präsidialkanzlei” had several „German Crosses“ with Diamonds made by Deschler (“…eine Reihe von “Deutschen Kreuzen“ mit kleinen Brillanten in München von der Firma Deschler im Auftrag der Präsidialkanzlei…“). It is interesting that Doehle states that it was Deschler that made the Crosses. As it is known, the Crosses were in fact made by Rath.

Doehle also states that the Crosses were made on direct order from Hitler (“(auf Weisung Hitlers)” and that it was Hitler who decided that the German Cross in Gold with Diamonds should not be awarded (“Hitler entschied sich dann aber dahin, dass das Deutsche Kreuz nicht mit Brillanten verliehen werden sollte.”). Doehle further states that he personally thought the reason for this decision was that the German Cross in Gold with Diamonds should not be “competing” (“Wertkonkurrenz”) with the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross (“…dass man nicht wollte, dass das Deutsche Kreuz mit Brillanten in Wertkonkurrenz mit dem Ritterkreuz des Eisernes Kreuzes treten sollte.”). The Diamonds should exclusively be reserved for the Iron Cross (“Die Brillanten sollten offenbar dem Eisernen Kreuz vorbehalten bleiben.”).

20 Crosses were ordered in October 1942 and was collected in Munich (“Hofjuwelier Rath, Theatinerstrassse”) on December 12, 1942, by an official named Funke from the Präsidialkanzlei. The price was circa RM 2800 each. (Letter from Mr. Funke to Dr. K.G. Klietmann, dated June 10, 1955. Source: HEROLD, “Ordenskundliche Sammlung Klietmann”, box (“Kapsel”) 235 (“Orden mit Brillanten, Deutsches Reich”)).

Letter from Dr. jur. Heinrich Doehle to „Archiv für Ordenskunde und Ordenslexikon“, dated June 17, 1955. Source: HEROLD (https://herold-verein.de/), “Ordenskundliche Sammlung Klietmann”, box (“Kapsel”) 235 (“Orden mit Brillanten, Deutsches Reich”).
    Attached Files

Thememory of Dr. Doehle is not quite correct in this matter. Initially 50 German Crosses wit Diamonds were ordered. Even the Mappe were done. It is all in the original documents of the time, as published in my magazin not to long ago!
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Many thanks for the information Dietrich. I will order the magazine!

Comment

Doehle does not state a number in his letter. He uses the phrase "eine Reihe", which could be 20 or 50 (in my opinion). The number 20 comes from Mr. Funke's letter, who collected the crosses at Rath in December 1942.

Comment

I'm just saying since the letter indicating that 50 should be made (initially) was sigend by Dr. Doehle.
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Many thanks for that information! I obviously need your magazine!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X