Dönitz's RKs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dönitz's RKs

I am deep diving into RK topic for not that long time but just encountered quite interesting topic. I am moraly fighting inside of me regarding all the RKs that were approved by Dönitz but did not meet the official procedure (May 1945).

He skipped several instances in few cases and let his officers award those RKs. However, he was the official leader of the country and there were people still bravely keeping the fighting...

They were not officially approved by Association of Knight's Cross Recipients though, but recipients are in all databases of RK holders.. so confusing

What is your opinion guys? I know that WASt never accepted Dönitz's decree but it might be just an afterwar self-blaming strategy... would not go well showing in news afterwar approved RK recipients quite some time after the war..

(I am not touching the topic of on battlefield awarding by even lower ranked officers, with no evidence or proof in the end of the war. More curious just about Dönitz's decree)

Thank you
    Last edited by Yubari; 03-18-2018, 02:36 PM.

Originally posted by BBrick View Post
    I am deep diving into RK topic for not that long time but just encountered quite interesting topic. I am moraly fighting inside of me regarding all the RKs that were approved by Dönitz but did not meet the official procedure (May 1945).

He skipped several instances in few cases and let his officers award those RKs. However, he was the official leader of the country and there were people still bravely keeping the fighting...

They were not officially approved by Association of Knight's Cross Recipients though, but recipients are in all databases of RK holders.. so confusing

What is your opinion guys? I know that WASt never accepted Dönitz's decree but it might be just an afterwar self-blaming strategy... would not go well showing in news afterwar approved RK recipients quite some time after the war..

(I am not touching the topic of on battlefield awarding by even lower ranked officers, with no evidence or proof in the end of the war. More curious just about Dönitz's decree)

Thank you
    Yes, VERY confusing indeed ! I asked the OdR these very questions back in the 70's, but could not get an answer that even they could agree on ???? Tom

Comment

The main thing is that awards after the capitulation are invalid because the decree about the institution of the RK did not allow the awarding to POWs. All German soldiers were POWs after 8. May 1945 and the Thitd Reich did not exist as a legal institution anymore. The OdR “awarded” RKs based on friendship and contributions. They never had any legal basis to do so.
      B&D PUBLISHING
      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
        The main thing is that awards after the capitulation are invalid because the decree about the institution of the RK did not allow the awarding to POWs. All German soldiers were POWs after 8. May 1945 and the Thitd Reich did not exist as a legal institution anymore. The OdR “awarded” RKs based on friendship and contributions. They never had any legal basis to do so.

Not sure if I can fully agree with you. I speak really hypotetically but Third Reich was there until at least 23rd of May 1945 (then sort of vacuum of power next few months). Decree was issued on 6/7th of May. Doenitz was appointed by Hitler to replace him, thus the right as the new Fuhrer to do and issue whatever he wants.. just IMO. I reflect for example on some Kriegsmarine captains which served until the very end, helped to carry escaping troops (and previously already well decorated for many other brave deeds)... does not sound as a giving smthg as a reward for friends. But I admit, there must have been many cases when RKs were awarded as you say on friendship line.
        Last edited by Yubari; 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

For reference the citation of the decree:

"German President Karl Dönitz decreed that "[a]ll nominations for the bestowal of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and their higher grades which have been received by the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht - staff of the Wehrmacht high command - until the capitulation becomes effective are approved, under the premise that all nominations are formally and correctly approved by the nominating authorities of the Wehrmacht, Heer including the Waffen-SS, Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe all the way to the level of the army and Heeres group leadership."

Comment

I read about this some time ago. While most people would probably agree that these recipients should have some form of recognition, the BRD Government does not officially recognise them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X