Godet, early frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Godet, early frame?

The cross is a Godet, I am wondering if this is the early frame variant?
    Starting to amster the identification of makers,
    now it's time to start developing skills in frame and core types
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dansson; 09-29-2015, 02:02 PM.

I like the sharp core!
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes it is.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thank you Trevor!

I think I got the difference now on the frames between a late and early Godet frame!

I might be able to post this week something rare, we will see...

Best regards,
        Daniel

Comment

Two questions,

There were only early and late frame variants on Godets?

Did Godet have several cores, or just one?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dansson View Post
            Two questions,
            There were only early and late frame variants on Godets?
            Did Godet have several cores, or just one?
            Thanks!
            There are bascially three general types of EK1s than can be considered Gebr. Godets:
            1. Early Zimmermann frame / Zimmermann core marked L/50 or in Godet carton
            2. Late Zimmermann frame / Zimmermann core marked L/50 or in Godet carton
            3. B.H. Mayer frame / B.H. Mayer core marked L/50 or in Godet carton

EDIT: For EK2s, I know of only the first two combinations.
            Last edited by streptile; 09-29-2015, 03:23 PM.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Comment

Thank you Trevor!

best regards,
              Daniel

Comment

Daniel : the early and late Zimmermann supplied Godet frames easy to see by the low and high bead count . The low bead count being the earlier one .

What was not mentioned are the small and large supplied cores Godet used .

Douglas

Comment

Hello Douglas!

How nice that you stepped in this thread

What I noticed to be the easiest way to determine is the frame early or late (after I got some idea which was the late and which the early frame from our friend Trevor),
                  is that on the late one it has very clear innercorner details that remind maybe a little of the "Crowsfeet" in the shape and on the early the details are more messy.

I managed to stumble across some thread where early ones were to somepoint also discussed,
                  I saw the thing with the cores and mine seems to have the little larger core in this case, would you be interested in an innercorner close up (the pics I started the thread with are "old" and I have now access to a camera which I can take relativley accuarate clsoe ups and sharp pictures)?
                  Because you mentioned some variation in the innercorners in the early frames.

Best regards,
                  Daniel

Comment

Douglas is right. By far the easiest way to distinguish the Zimmermann/Godet early frame from the late frame is the bead count. It's immediately apparent that the beads are fatter (thicker) and less numerous on the early frame.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
                      Douglas is right. By far the easiest way to distinguish the Zimmermann/Godet early frame from the late frame is the bead count. It's immediately apparent that the beads are fatter (thicker) and less numerous on the early frame.
                      Counting the beads, is there a specific section to do that, or you have to count all the beads on the frame ?
                      And what the beads count should be for both variations, please ?
                      Thanks
                      Alf.

Comment

Well that was a small surprise,
                        the tricks I use to determine makers are obviously non valid when it comes to frames at least.
                        Seems like the core and frame types are compltley new playgrounds for me with some new rules

Thanks for the advice Trevor and Douglas once again!

Comment

To answer the questions at hand .
                          Bead count . No specific way to do this ... I use the full bead count on an arm and compare that way .
                          The course Godet bead has 'about' 28 full beading per arm and generally ( except Zimmermann 2nd frame for certain- 55- Juncker - W&L and maybe one or two more ) 32 to 33 full beads .
                          If interested - you can see that the large core has a variant of its own : same date with either a flat top or domed swastika .
                          Why this is I do not know - maybe one for EK2s or EK1s ?? Keep in mind that in 39 companies were still 'experimenting' and developing features .

Douglas
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
                            To answer the questions at hand .
                            Bead count . No specific way to do this ... I use the full bead count on an arm and compare that way .
                            The course Godet bead has 'about' 28 full beading per arm and generally ( except Zimmermann 2nd frame for certain- 55- Juncker - W&L and maybe one or two more ) 32 to 33 full beads .
                            If interested - you can see that the large core has a variant of its own : same date with either a flat top or domed swastika .
                            Why this is I do not know - maybe one for EK2s or EK1s ?? Keep in mind that in 39 companies were still 'experimenting' and developing features .

Douglas
                            Thank you Douglas for so detail information with added illustrations.

Alf.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                            X