Very early sales!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very early sales!

The photo is titled "A German child trying to sell his father’s Iron Cross for cigarettes, 1945." (Source: Rare picture of the World History).

Obvioulsly Daddy wasn't wearing his cross, or got another one , ... Looks like "Paul Meybauer, Berlin" to me.

Dietrich
    Attached Files
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Great picture, Dietrich!! And I agree that it could be a Meybauer given that case marking. Very cool!!

Comment

Scheisse! So traurig...

Comment

Amazing photo.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
          Scheisse! So traurig...

Agreed, looks like Papa never made it home...

Comment

I guess there could be many reasons as to why! we will never know,i just hope the lad got through the hell around him at the time.

Ross

Comment

So sad to see how bad these kids had it after the hell of the war. Victims who are mostly forgotten about now.

Comment

This photo is very sad (IMO). The son is not yet aware of the incident. This order, possible, price the life of his father.

This happens now even when no one is starving. Money became more important than the memory, unfortunately.

WR Kirill

Comment

Yes, definitely sad too. I'd guess that this cross made it home but his dad didn't. And the cigarettes could then be traded for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
                    Yes, definitely sad too. I'd guess that this cross made it home but his dad didn't. And the cigarettes could then be traded for food.
                    The life of father price of a pack of cigarettes. We cannot allow this happen again!

WR Kirill

Comment

So sad that picture .

Douglas

Comment

You can't eat an EK1. Tom

Comment

Or not so sad - maybe he was one little fighter, who found a box of crosses in the ruins and in the postwar months improved his and his family's life selling souvenirs. Remember the 17 y old kid, who got a tired military truck after the war's end and started a transport service in the war ruined country. Soon he had the Betz transport empire! There were plenty of clever and enterprising people, who built the country back to world leader status.
                          The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

That's a beautiful picture Dietrich, thanks for sharing!
                            Kind regards,
                            Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Great source: http://historicaltimes.tumblr.com/po...ers-iron-cross

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X