Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 Repeat Spange

Hello,
    I've been offered this EK2 repeat spange. The four tags are still on it, couldn't get between the ribbon and spange as they are tight together, unable to see if it has a makers mark. If more pictures are needed, I can get them. Meanwhile do members think its a genuine piece ? thanks in advance for any information.
    Attached Files

Spange

Looks great but it is a fake. Jim

Comment

Hello Jim,
      Thanks for the post - yes it does look great, any chance you could elaborate a little on what is exactly wrong with it. Medals aren't really my forte
      Regards

Comment

Forgive me for intruding; you addressed your question to Jim. Here is the same spange type I believe in the Crosses Fakes Forum, post #20...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...=101961&page=2

Robert

Comment

Jim have no concerns about joining the thread, informed comment is always welcome. Thanks for the link, I did have both pictures up on my screen together for comparison - apart from obviously the colour (bronze) difference, they do seem similar, although with differences - couldn't see if the bronze one had pebbling in the background of the swastika or behind the 1939 date. The bronzed eagles head also looks bigger (rounded) but that could be due to the photo angle. I've put the two up together see for comparison, perhaps our sharp eyed members may spot something.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Soldon

Forgive me for intruding too but the "bronze spange" repro marked L/4 is mine...

1) Its actually an old photo and I'm not the best with pictures but the colour is actually toned silver, not bronze. I still have it somewhere so I could look for it & try to take better pictures
            to get the pebbling (if any) in the wreath and date box if necessary but ...

2) My crappy photography aside, I think the major reason for the differences in the "look" of the 2 spanges (conndition/finish aside) is a result of the different angles of the pictures. Mine is perpenticular (90 degrees) to the camera and yours seem to be at a slight angle. The top of the head is also hidden by the ribbon which chages the appearance. However the uneven space in arc at shoulders and uneven arc at bottom of wing feathers are typical features associated of this repro are both present

3) I understand from previous threads that some much more knowledgeable members than me beleive there is an original version of this bird in existence but given the risk (the repro exists with various markings and hardware configurations) , I wouldnt take the chance and moreso just from a front picture

Regards

JC

Comment

Hello Jean- Claude,
              A big thank you, yours was the post I was hoping would show up. As I'm really not a medal collector, I do like a opinion, whether good or bad backed up with a couple of reasons. These one word posts - how much credence do they really have, not a lot I fear, at least with me. The last sentence in your second paragraph, was the key for me. The help is much appreciated. Best Wishes

Comment

Glad to be of assistance Soldon

In fact I'm just a beginner in this stuff too so if I were you I wouldnt take my response too seriously because I am just repeating what I understand based on my limited knowledge.

However you must appreciate that the 2 very knowledgeable members who were kind enough to respond to your thread review/comment on hundreds of spanges every year and we are expected to do our homework/research as well.

Regards

JC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X