Nowotny's Recovered RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
    I would tend to agree. I don't think the gentlemen at Token are trying to peddle or promote any theories or medals as per Mr. Shaw. I would like to know why this unusual presentation of a TR topic has appeared as a main article in this magazine.

In theory it is probably a great article.... super high ranking award in a museum (cough cough...) ... bit of an eye catcher which turns out to be egg on their face...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
      In theory it is probably a great article.... super high ranking award in a museum (cough cough...) ... bit of an eye catcher which turns out to be egg on their face...
      Most big time auction houses that sell primarily Commonwealth (or at least non-TR) medals/badges ... even go so far as to state that they do not guarantee originality of these TR pieces. It's a shame that crooked stories, bad pieces and prolific fakes have marred not only this sector of collecting but the hobby as a whole.

I'll see if I can get a response from one of the people tat works at Token and see if they were aware of the controversy. I'd be interested in how this all came about ...

Comment

Guys, the guy who wrote the magazine article forgot the most important fact: Galland himself said that there was nothing left from the crash site, only Nowotny's hand and some pieces of his RK.

That said.. who can actually believe that's the actual cross that belonged to Nowotny?

Even more, all the personal effects found at the crash site were either buried with him or handed over to the family. I would incline for the first option..

Comment

IF the crash was that severe...Fire would have finished the job on anything that didn't blow up on impact.
          Galand now being deceased of course cannot be further qualified on the subject and if the first hand account was reliable where you got the information Galand stated himself of the crash site..that pieces of the cross were found(along with a hand).....so ...there must be photos somewhere of the planes remains at the crash scene. (or crater whichever it was)
          The only explanation for the RK I can summize or deduct from reading this thread is this one must be a replacement or possibly he had an extra example back at his base in his effects. I have heard that many pilots wore one when flying and kept the original back at their bases....although we do not know if that is correct information or just myth.
          I would be careful if I were trying to buy this cross..even though the cross claiming to be his was examined and deemed original...we just do not know if it was his original or like many suspect a replacement supplied to put on his pillow for the funeral ....but one must never think all stories are just bunk....so further investigation is in order through any RELIABLE sources still available even family...although I suspect this may not lead anywhere as time has gotten between the truth and those left to tell the real story, and the desire to make a few bucks. I think as usual...just more theorys until truth if any can be brought forth is found.

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
            that pieces of the cross were found(along with a hand).....so ...there must be photos somewhere of the planes remains at the crash scene.
            Remains of Nowotny's plane stored at Achmer Airfield, Germany. Little was left from the wreckage, as stated by Galland to author Colin D. Heaton.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sepp45; 06-18-2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
              ... The only explanation for the RK I can summize or deduct from reading this thread is this one must be a replacement or possibly he had an extra example back at his base in his effects.
              All items in that article, RKs, Diamonds, Swords are known fakes. The whole thing is one big made-up fairy tale.
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                All items in that article, RKs, Diamonds, Swords are known fakes. The whole thing is one big made-up fairy tale.
                I'll post what I hear back from Medal News. If I do hear back ....

Comment

The whole estate of Walter Nowotny was kept by his brother Rudolf ( also a fighter pilot), who lived in Linz, Upper Austria. I don't know who got that all after Rudolf's death a few years ago, but the pieces shown in the article for sure have NOTHING to do with Walter Nowotny (as others stated before here).

Kind regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X