No announcement yet.

A couple of new EK1s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-iron cores are considerably more scarce than iron cores, but that doesn't really make a non-iron cored EK more valuable.
    As for materials used in relationship to the LDO and supposedly strict controls, I've always been confused by the timeline of LDO and Lieferant numbers and I also think that the "control" issue is over assumed by some. There might have been regulations in place, but that doesn't mean that the regulations were being observed. For example, I have a non-magnetic core EK 1 by Wachtler and Lange with their LDO number "L/55." Some strict control, huh?
    Finally, I think that the idea that non-iron cored EKs were manufactured for KM personnel so that the crosses wouldn't rust at sea is pretty much of an old wives' tale.
    George

Comment

That was the impression I had, that the brass 1's were made for the KM, as the German way was to wear your medals at all times, as opposed to other countries who didn't.
      Nice EK's by the way, my only (at the momment) EK1 is a 26

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong
        That was the impression I had, that the brass 1's were made for the KM, as the German way was to wear your medals at all times, as opposed to other countries who didn't.
        Nice EK's by the way, my only (at the momment) EK1 is a 26
        Laurence,

I guess you mis-understood what George said. The non-iron crosses were NOT made for the KM or any other dreamed up special purpose. They were plain and simple early crosses. That's all!

Dietrich
        B&D PUBLISHING
        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Ahhhh Thanks for that

Comment

Were non magnetic EK1s made from any material other than brass?

Comment

John,
              I've seen copper coated iron core EK1's. Others may say that they are all copper core but I'am not sure about that. There are zinc core EK2's for sure but I've yet to see an EK1 with a zinc core.

Chet
              Zinc stinks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chet Sowersby
                John,
                I've seen copper coated iron core EK1's. Others may say that they are all copper core but I'am not sure about that. There are zinc core EK2's for sure but I've yet to see an EK1 with a zinc core.

Chet
                HI Chet, thanks for the info...I was wondering what materials they used, John

Comment

Hey guys,

I've got an L/19 that is non magnetic. I've been told it is probably brass. There are just a few very small chips on the date, and the material under the paint looks to be either a dark toned brass or possibly copper. Anyone know for sure what it is?

Thanks.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X