Attached Files

Comment

:

and two more
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice indeed

Comment

Very nice case. Does the lining material respond to a blacklight?

Comment

Leroy,

I don't know, I've heard about the blacklight test but I don't have one and I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.

Comment

The case looks very nice.

What about the ribbon? Would this early post war production be considered period if it was sold separate ore is it produced in another way revealing this is not the real deal?

dot-byf

Comment

It looks like an early 1957 etui, with the exception of the metal circle around the push button.

Comment

Originally posted by Brien View Post
                  Leroy,

I don't know, I've heard about the blacklight test but I don't have one and I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.
                  Brien -A blacklight is a good thing to have, although certainly NOT a 100% accurate aid to determining age. In the mid-1950's, it started to become a common practice to add optical brighteners in the manufacturer of some materials (to make "whites whiter"). In turn, such materials will flouresce, or glow, under a blacklight, and so if you used a blacklight next to the interior white fabric of this case and it glowed, it would be a clue that the material might be postwar made. Again, it is not a completely determinative test, as some wartime made materials also flouresce, but it gives a "clue" as to the possible age of a piece which should prompt deeper examination. There are several good discussions here on the subject and also a great article in International Medal Collector magazine (now International Militaria Collector) about it.
                  Last edited by Leroy; 11-09-2013, 08:39 AM. Reason: Add magazine's new name

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X