Question about Zimmermann RK's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Zimmermann RK's

The RK area is not a specialty of mine, so forgive the elementary questions, but...

Are there any characteristics distinct to Zimmermann RK's ? I have been searching the books and Forum, but I haven't found anything so far.

Also, I can't recall the answer to this question: The RK's on which the loop on the top of the frame actually seems to "dip down" into the frame...is that a sign of a definite fake, or is that a variation of one manufacturer ?

Thanks !

Originally posted by Bill Dienna
    The RK area is not a specialty of mine, so forgive the elementary questions, but...

Are there any characteristics distinct to Zimmermann RK's ? I have been searching the books and Forum, but I haven't found anything so far.

Ah now we are talking turkey, the Zimmermann RK is the "Rolls Royce" of the RK lineup, the eye on an original Zimmermann does not dip at all into the frame and is beautifully formed and rounded. The beading meets in the cetre even, unlike the cross hatch affect on the Junckers.

Also, I can't recall the answer to this question: The RK's on which the loop on the top of the frame actually seems to "dip down" into the frame...is that a sign of a definite fake, or is that a variation of one manufacturer ?

Thanks !
    Ah now we are talking turkey, the Zimmermann RK is the "Rolls Royce" of the RK lineup, the eye on an original Zimmermann does not dip at all into the frame and is beautifully formed and rounded. The beading meets in the cetre even, unlike the cross hatch affect on the "junky" Junckers.
    Souval RK's are infamous for the dipping eye into the frame.
    Do you have a piece in mind Bill? Zimmermann RK's are as rare as hens teeth.

Comment

Bill, looking at the Zimmermann I picture a 'lizard's tail' where all points come together! Very well cut and all symetrical.

Tongue in cheek ofcourse.....as a demonstration have a look at the Latvian crosses.
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Actually, I saw a cased RK at a show. To my non-RK collector's eye, it looked interesting, appearing to have very legitimate age. It was marked both "20" and "800" on the frame and on the ribbon loop. Alas, the ring on top of the frame, through which the ribbon loop passed, was most definitely dipping into the frame. I couldn't recall what that particular characteristic meant.
        The seller is a fellow I have spoken with before, and he seems to be honest, but the most he could say, not being a German militaria collector per se, is that he believed it to be genuine. He said that he had purchased it about 15 years ago, from a collector who had had it for a long time. And that would seem to be about the right time for Souval pieces, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dienna
          .....Alas, the ring on top of the frame, through which the ribbon loop passed, was most definitely dipping into the frame. I couldn't recall what that particular characteristic meant..
          This was most definitely not an original Zimmermann RK. If you have the Iron Cross of 1939 by Gordon Williamson, there is some nice clear pictures of original Zimmermann RK's there.

Comment

Bill

This is a Zimmerman.... http://www.majorplm.com/collections/...e-21may04.html

Marshall

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X