1957 Crosses in Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1957 Crosses in Use

Has anyone got photos of the 1957 Iron Crosses in Use? I have seen alot of these medals, but none ever being worn. Was it common for the medals to be worn post war?
    Thanks!
    Thomas

Just look in Previtera's "The Iron Time." Page 403.
    Marc

Comment

I've actually seen someone while out shopping wearing his EKI, EKII, wound badge and another award (it was something in silver) on a stick pin in his lapel. This was a good few years ago and the only one I've ever seen.

Tony

Comment

The only pic I have of 57 awards in wear is of my penpal Oskar-Hubert Dennhardt taken a couple of years ago,he is wearing his 57 Knights Cross with Oakleaves........I will try and dig out the pic and post it!

Dave

Comment

Thr Iron Cross of 1939 pages 455 and 461.

Comment

Here you go.

Cheers.
            Peter
            Attached Files

Comment

Cool

Comment

I think the crosses were only worn in studio photos, such as those above, and reunion meets. Those that went on to serve in the Bundeswehr wore only the ribbon bar on a day-to-day basis. Post-war civilians who were combatants pre-1945 may have worn a stickpin in their lapel.

Comment

I never realised a clause of the surrender or condition of approval for creation of the Bundeswehr was "...and no more smart looking uniforms".

Comment

I think they went to the plain and dull unifroms to distance themselves from the TR. Look at the East Germans during the same time period, they look like they used left over uniforms.
                    Last edited by Laurence Strong; 10-17-2004, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the photos. Were WWII awards worn by German vets serving in the East German army at all? Or might the communists have banned the wear of such awards.
                      Thanks!
                      Thomas

Comment

Peter,

Were those two color pics from the IRON TIME or from Gordon's IRON CROSS OF 1939?
                        Last edited by h009291; 10-17-2004, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by h009291
                          Peter,

Were those two color pics from the IRON TIME or from Gordon's IRON CROSS OF 1939?
                          I have them on my computer but if you do a search here on the forum, you will find more.
                          On top of this, there is a dedicated site about the postwar RK owners in the Bundeswehr.
                          http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de/index_...p4?modul=db_bw

Cheers.
                          Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Schwend
                            Thanks for the photos. Were WWII awards worn by German vets serving in the East German army at all? Or might the communists have banned the wear of such awards.
                            Thanks!
                            Thomas
                            NO! Not even considered. 1957 re-issue WWII awards and decorations only pertained to the West German Bundeswehr veterans. The EG awards all memicked the Soviet style awards.

Comment

Nice website Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X