Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help finding maker of this EKII

Hello,

I recently bought this EKII, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what company made this one since it is unmarked.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

In my opinion it could be a late postwar Souval.

The core is certainly Souval. Here's another to compare the frame (grüni).
    Attached Files
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

How interesting. I didn't realise they used a number of frames, just thought it was cores.

Comment

Interesting, I was looking over the Souval thread double checking my EKII's and then thought I would post this. So I'm guessing the cores could have an ok frame? I saw examples of ones but they all had frames with rounded inside corners and other giveaway signs

Originally posted by streptile View Post
        In my opinion it could be a late postwar Souval.

The core is certainly Souval. Here's another to compare the frame (grüni).

Comment

It's a tough area, Souval. Most believe they changed their frame late postwar ('70s?). I would stay far away from this one, especially as the ribbon looks bad also.
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Comment

Thanks for the input, I am getting mixed reviews about this from different people. A tough one indeed.

It's a tough area, Souval. Most believe they changed their frame late postwar ('70s?). I would stay far away from this one, especially as the ribbon looks bad also.

Comment

Hi Knight,

Mixed reviews? That is precisely why I stay far away from anything with this (and one other) Souval core. In my opinion not enough is yet known about them. Why spend the money on a question mark? There are so many good Iron Crosses out there, and they're not expensive.

Souval is thought to have changed their frame years (decades) after the war to a new frame, but kept their cores the same. Also Souval supplied many other makers in the postwar years with various components to manufacture copies of the Iron Cross (and other awards). To me this frame looks similar to the other one shown above, which is said to be a late postwar Souval, but could also be (in my opinion) made by someone who simply bought Souval's cores. There are other known postwar EK2s with various other frames and Souval cores.

I would ask anyone who tells you this is a wartime piece to explain why. I am not challenging the assumption, but as far as I know it is not accepted as true. "I've been collecting for 40 (50, 60) years and I know a good EK2 when I see (hold) it," or "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know about Iron Crosses" are not legitimate explanations, either.
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Comment

Good information, I noticed that the small ring is not soldered to the frame, any thoughts on that?

Hi Knight,

Mixed reviews? That is precisely why I stay far away from anything with this (and one other) Souval core. In my opinion not enough is yet known about them. Why spend the money on a question mark? There are so many good Iron Crosses out there, and they're not expensive.

Souval is thought to have changed their frame years (decades) after the war to a new frame, but kept their cores the same. Also Souval supplied many other makers in the postwar years with various components to manufacture copies of the Iron Cross (and other awards). To me this frame looks similar to the other one shown above, which is said to be a late postwar Souval, but could also be (in my opinion) made by someone who simply bought Souval's cores. There are other known postwar EK2s with various other frames and Souval cores.

I would ask anyone who tells you this is a wartime piece to explain why. I am not challenging the assumption, but as far as I know it is not accepted as true. "I've been collecting for 40 (50, 60) years and I know a good EK2 when I see (hold) it," or "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know about Iron Crosses" are not legitimate explanations, either.

Comment

"I've forgotten more than you'll ever know about Iron Crosses"
                  Hahaha, I remember that one, Trevor..
                  Some guy told me that about the P&L crosses..
                  In his opinion all P&L are fakes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X