Restoration??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoration??

OK all you purists, don't gag and don't throw rocks.

I have a repro RK, and since I can't yet swing the real deal (under threat of death), how can I restore the core without screwing it up? It's one of the L/12 jobs, and looks pretty good. Just a lousy looking center that needs darkening.

Thanks.

Model paint should work, available in a hobby store.
    Erich

Originally posted by Panzerman
    OK all you purists, don't gag and don't throw rocks.

I have a repro RK, and since I can't yet swing the real deal (under threat of death), how can I restore the core without screwing it up? It's one of the L/12 jobs, and looks pretty good. Just a lousy looking center that needs darkening.

Thanks.
    Festina lente!

Comment

Erich,

I thought about that, but I don't want brush strokes. I also thought about airbrushing, but don't know if I can snug tape down to the beading to prevent overspray.

Has anyone out there ever done this??

Comment

I think if you use a higher quality paint, like Tamiya brand, you can get it to flow on without brushstrokes. Otherwise, back 30 years ago or so there used to be a liquid latex masking material that we used to mask off the clear parts of model plane canopies. It was called 'Magic Mask'. I'm sure there is something better by now that would allow you to get a very sharp masked edge without using tape.
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

I got an ek from a gent back home that looked great, when I commented on it, he said "Yeah, some of the black paint was missing from the middle, so I used a black magic marker on it. " It didnt look half bad.
          Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
          All the best,
          Chris

Comment

I restored a EK 2 core by using Gun blue from gunslick.

Cheers, Sonny

Comment

Humbrol makes a product called Maskol. It is a latex based masking liquid that dries in 30 mins. Peels off without leaving any residue either. It is fairly cheap and will prevent any nasty overspray.

As for painting the Iron Core section I would probably go with Humbrol enamel semi gloss black or matt black. If you are going to hand paint humbrol enamels they flow quite well and rarely leave brush strokes. Personally I would load up my Aztec 470 dual action airbrush and spray the bastard!

Comment

Thanks to all who replyed. I'm thinking I might try the mask and airbrush. I appreciate your advise....

The center is smooth, and almost looks blued now, so a nice airbrushing should do the job.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X