• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how did he die?
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Don't know. Do you? Most sources say he was killed on February 14, 1945, but Scherzer says he died of his wounds on February 15.

Comment

I don't know. You just said in post # 871 that you would that is why I am asking.
        He was most likely blown up in his tank as that was his job. I am sure he didn't die in his sleep. Maybe Pieter knows since he also seems to know that the inscription was not made after the war - if I donn't mix up truth with sarkasm again.

But I would not find a late 1944 award date of a 935-4 completely out of the question. Wonder where his Oaks are ....
        B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
          You just said in post # 871 that you would that is why I am asking.
          ...... Wonder where his Oaks are ....
          Actually, I never said that I knew how he died, but sure, he must have been blown up in his tank and vaporized.

I wonder if his posthumous Oakleaves (February 24) were ever sent to anyone? The loop on the cross is a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
            I am sure you know how Hans-Babo v. Rohr died on 15. February 1945!
            Your answer: Yes and ...

Sorry for misunderstanding that written exchange.

I certainly do not know whether he was blown up or not. There is a certain chance as a tank commander on the Eastern Front, though. If that "inscription" is enough to believe that it is his cross, fine!
            B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

“Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-boggogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as the final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: `I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, `for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

`But,' says Man, `The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

`Oh dear,' says God, `I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.

`Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white..... and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.”

Comment

And one last post (with apologies for diverting Sepp45's thread........)

A brave man (irregardless of whether the cross is his or not).
                Attached Files

Comment

Just a short one. Re-reading Dietrich tonight, I do now see what he meant about von Rohr's death and my answer. I did know that he died as a result of combat (as opposed to accidentally), but did not know the precise mechanism of that death. I found it interesting that his date of death is given in almost all places (including the Panzer RK book) as February 14, but Scherzer says he died of his wounds on February 15 (which implies to me something other than immediate death). In any case, Dietrich was quite right to question my response, as it seemed to indicate that I knew more precise details of his death than I did.

Comment

Scherzer.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
                      I've been looking for the name of the soldier in the photo. This was his RK grouping, but with no names so far. If anyone knows anything regarding this piece, please add what you can.
                      Hans Richter
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good job!

Hans Richter

Heer

Hauptmann

Leader of the I./Grenadier-Regiment 121

RK on 29 January 1944

OR

Johannes Richter

Heer

Leutnant

Leader of the 2./Panzergrenadier-Regiment 304

RK on 30 September 1944

Comment

Thanks to all for the help given!! Can't be happier I'm sorry for not responding so quickly, but I'm on vacations and I don't have many time to spare on the computer

When I get back, I'll resume this great thread you've all made possible with your help.

Kind Regards and happy holidays!
                          Sepp.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                            Good job!

Hans Richter
                            Heer
                            Hauptmann
                            Leader of the I./Grenadier-Regiment 121
                            RK on 29 January 1944

OR

Johannes Richter
                            Heer
                            Leutnant
                            Leader of the 2./Panzergrenadier-Regiment 304
                            RK on 30 September 1944
                            Hans Richter also awarded DKiG and EBS (06.03.1943 and 27.06.1943) while serving with Grenadier-Regiment 121.

Haven't found any aditional awards for Johannes Richter.

Comment

Major Willy MÜLLER

Kommandeur PzPiBtl 144 PzDiv Holstein

RK : 14.04.1945

Phil.

Comment

Thanks Phil for adding that great attributed RK!

I'll be home in a few days, but I say to all here: Happy New Year! Thanks for the help with this post and let us continue to make it bigger for the years to come.

Kind Regards,
                                Agustin (Sepp45)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X