My first EK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first EK

Well, I just recieved my first EK (It's a 2 Klasse), and I can't believe how impressed I am with it. I have always wanted one, but I have just now started to take collecting more seriously. The construction is more like jewelry than a military medal. I need more of these. The center is magnetic & so flawless, black and featureless I can barely make out any detail in low light. It is 3 piece for sure, (it wiggles VERY slightly) the silver is very bright, but tarnished (is that normal?). If this is a repro, I'm scared to see the quality of an original.
    It is a wonderful example (in my opinion), maker is "27", Anton (or Maria?) Schenkel, marked on the suspension ring. I got it on eBay - not the best place to start, but it worked out wonderfully.

I had several email conversations with the gentleman, and this particular piece is from a family grouping which included other WWII items, it was "captured" in Holland by his great uncle (yeah, I know, prove it, but the EK is very nice, and I believe it) He also has a Battle flag (I'm going to work on it) and some trench art he doesn't want to sell. When I purchased it, he "threw in" a grouping of RCAF and RAF pilot and aircrew pillow wings, which I believe are actually worth more than the Cross (together as a group). I will detail them on the Commonwealth forum. I'm not complaining.

A couple of questions:

1) how does the "burn test" work for the ribbon? It is really bright and crisp, I am worried it is repro, which would make me doubt the whole provenance story. I will get a blacklight bulb ASAP.

2) How difficult will it be to find a correct issue packet for this maker?

I have a few 3rd Reich items, most of which I have had since my youth, and am starting to put more focus into my collecting, centering on 3rd Reich.

I will post the pics after the weekend, I have to get paid before I can cough up the Association membership! (yes, I know, wrong hobby) Using all my spare pennies to drive my '53 Dodge M37 to the big Military vehicle (and gun) show in Iola, WI this weekend.

pics to follow!

Jeff

Welcome to the forum.
    Iron Crosses 2 class is very nice to collect and i love them. Lots of details and still not to expensive.

Cheers.
    Peter Wiking

Comment

I saw this posting on estand, http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=62773

Is the price on that piece because of the condition, or is this a desirable maker?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

Congratulations-you sound just like me a couple of months ago.
        You won't regret joining the Association!

Neil

Comment

Hi Jeff,
          welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase The cross in the thread is a `schinkle`, these are the earlier type crosses possibly made up from the 1ww frames as they have much narrower arms compared to later crosses, also the swaztica and the numerals can be smaller, do a search on the forum for more info.Here is one of mine for comparison.

Ashley
          Last edited by atcase; 08-19-2004, 03:53 PM.

Comment

The reverseAshley

Comment

Welcome and congratulations on your first EK! I'm sure we will be seeing alot more in the future.

Ps. Don't forget to add your EK to the stats i run in die Kneipe, it's all for the better good to keep track of things..
              Antti

Comment

OK, I added it.

Any answer on my earlier question about verifying authenticity of the ribbon?

Also, how common is maker "27"?
                Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

Did you try the blacklight test on the ribbon. I know what you mean about EKs, they are addictive, like eating potato chips, you can't have just one!
                  Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
                  All the best,
                  Chris

Comment

OK, here is a pic or 2, my camera has very poor close-up focus, I can use the one at work for better shots.
                    Last edited by ditch68; 09-01-2004, 08:58 PM. Reason: bad picture

Comment

YIKES! Nevermind. I'll try again tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Welcome aboard. You'll love this forum. I bought that schinkle you showed earlier. (Thanks Mr. Register) !! I don't know of the "going rate" on them, but it was something I had been looking for and it's a beauty. Things go REALLY fast on the E-Stand, and I didn't want it to get away, soooo..... , it's mine. I have a packet for your cross, but it's in rough shape. It's missing the flap where the maker name would be, but it was verified on this forum some time ago. I'll look for the photo and put it up.

Comment

Packet for a 27 EKII.

Jeff, here it is.

Comment

Be careful Jeff, those EK's are certainly addicting......just ask some of the other members! Welcome. If you are a somewhat new collector, then this forum is da' bomb. Tons of knowledge floating around out there, all at your fingertips. Good for the rookies like myself....

Anyway, welcome and enjoy. I am sure you will learn a lot. Remember, look at everything, you never know when you will run across something that someone says that might help you out in the future.

Brian

Ps. How did you find the forum? A lifetime member, Mr. Robert Pierce, turned me on to it a year ago.
                            Brian Dentino

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR WWII GLIDER INFO/ITEMS...ESPECIALLY 325TH GIR

Comment

They are like chips, you can never have just one
                              Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
                              All the best,
                              Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X