EK1 - Separated Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK1 - Separated Edge

My first EK1 arrived today. Would you mind reviewing it for me? The edge close to the hinge is separating, is that normal?

Thanks
    Pat
    Attached Files

Here are some pictures of the hook and the pin.
    Attached Files

Comment

A now a picture of a closed edge, and the edge near the hinge that is separating.
      Attached Files

Comment

On first sight I think your EK1 is a good one by Paul Meybauer. The pin, hinge, and core are all textbook from this maker. The frame, with its severe flawing, is also common for later crosses by Meybauer. The faint and near-indecipherable "7" mark on the pin is typical. Even the catch, which is oddly bent compared to other Meybauers I've seen, is made of the correct wire and looks properly soldered to the back plate. Take a look at the first cross on this page (thanks, Stefan), and you will see a twin of your own.

My only question is the core. Will a magnet stick to the core? It almost looks zinc from the color on the swastika. Maybe repainted? Are there specks of black paint up in the beading rim? Hard to say from these photos, and judging a repaint is something that comes with experience. You could try some more photos at different angles and under different lighting conditions to let us all have a look at the paint on the core.

The separation of the frame halves is normal, if unfortunate. In my opinion very minor separation (say, on one edge only) doesn't really constitute damage, as it's pretty common for the seams to open just a bit, but the separation on your example should have been mentioned in the sales description and reflected in the price.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
          On first sight I think your EK1 is a good one by Paul Meybauer. The pin, hinge, and core are all textbook from this maker. The frame, with its severe flawing, is also common for later crosses by Meybauer. The faint and near-indecipherable "7" mark on the pin is typical. Even the catch, which is oddly bent compared to other Meybauers I've seen, is made of the correct wire and looks properly soldered to the back plate. Take a look at the first cross on this page (thanks, Stefan), and you will see a twin of your own.

My only question is the core. Will a magnet stick to the core? It almost looks zinc from the color on the swastika. Maybe repainted? Are there specks of black paint up in the beading rim? Hard to say from these photos, and judging a repaint is something that comes with experience. You could try some more photos at different angles and under different lighting conditions to let us all have a look at the paint on the core.

The separation of the frame halves is normal, if unfortunate. In my opinion very minor separation (say, on one edge only) doesn't really constitute damage, as it's pretty common for the seams to open just a bit, but the separation on your example should have been mentioned in the sales description and reflected in the price.
          Magnet does stick to it. I love taking pictures, so just tell me exactly what you want to see, and I will take it. It sounds like maybe at off angles?

regards,
          Pat

Comment

Hello Pat,

Although the sale thread has gone I believe that cross is the one you asked about when you saw the word "fake" in the photo file name the other day. Yes?

If so then you know it's authentic but unless that separation was clearly shown to you (I don't recall seeing it in the Estand sale thread) then I suggest that you return the cross for a full refund. I also feel the seller should pick up the return shipping costs if that separation wasn't disclosed. Estand rules do not require that he does but it would be an appropriate gesture.

There are three issues with that piece in my view; possible repaint of core, lack of paint on top of swas and the frame separation. I don't wish to be overly blunt but unless you like them salty it's better to deal with it now.

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
              Hello Pat,

Although the sale thread has gone I believe that cross is the one you asked about when you saw the word "fake" in the photo file name the other day. Yes?

If so then you know it's authentic but unless that separation was clearly shown to you (I don't recall seeing it in the Estand sale thread) then I suggest that you return the cross for a full refund. I also feel the seller should pick up the return shipping costs if that separation wasn't disclosed. Estand rules do not require that he does but it would be an appropriate gesture.

There are three issues with that piece in my view; possible repaint of core, lack of paint on top of swas and the frame separation. I don't wish to be overly blunt but unless you like them salty it's better to deal with it now.

Regards,
              Stu
              Thanks for the blunt input. No harm meant, no offense taken. Yes you are correct that this is the same cross. Thanks for the advice. That is why I enjoy this site so much, the open candor between the membership and the expectation of honorable actions.

Comment

It 's still a pretty nice Meybauer. I have seen another one by Meybauer with same problem on the edges but I don't know if it 's the same cross.
                Surely this thing it 's not nice to see, also che catch that has not the original shape, it 's not a "real catch" if can not stop the pin..

Comment

IMO the seperated part of the frame should have been mentioned/shown in the sales thread.

/Flemming

Comment

Here is a picture of the paint, at an angle.

Thanks
                    Pat
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like original paint on a ( Ni-aloy ?) plated iron core . Plated cores are common and this picture now shows iron rust showing on the frame edge .

Douglas

Comment

Good Meybauer

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
                        Looks like original paint on a ( Ni-aloy ?) plated iron core . Plated cores are common and this picture now shows iron rust showing on the frame edge .

Douglas
                        I agree this is not a fake. The number "1" on the core is the same as my L/13 EK2, (note how the left side of the number's base line looks like it spikes up towards the top). My EK2 has the same "messy" looking beading on both sides of the frame and there are a couple of gaps in the seam where the soldering didn't attach to the two halves. The Core is also so loose that it rattles like crazy. I almost past this EK up but was able to haggle the price down quite a bit because it lacked almost all the high qualities of the other EK2s that I had and the maker mark was unusual too. I was happy to find out these are some of the characteristics of a Meybauer EK and I guess a rare EK2, L/13 marked one.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X