EK2 converted to KC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 converted to KC

I have several questions pertaining to the use of an Iron Cross second class as a "wearers copy" for the winner. How common of a practice is this? Are these examples less expensive than the actual Knight's Cross? The reason that I ask is that I am looking to set up some manniquins with the uniforms I have purchased since my deployment. I would like to set up a tunic with a Knight's Cross but one of these are well above my budget. I do not want to get an out right fake or repro if I can help it. A converted second class would be a perfect and actually authentic addition to my display.

Any help that could be provided in the way of info or an actual example would be grealy appreciated.

Best regards
    Paul Reck

Hi Paul,

A normal EK2 with EK2 ribbon could be used as a field KC as these were actually worn pre '45.
    That way you could avoid damaging an EK2 to convert it yourself, and you would have an example of an EK2 when you have finished with your display.

Cheers,
    Brett

Comment

Hi Paul,

Here is a picture of my converted EK2.

Pascal
      Attached Files

Comment

Detail
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's mine

sorry...couldn't resist...

My problem with trying to find a field-improv would be how would you ever know if the converted EK2 was actually done pre-45? You'd need some iron-clad provenance. And even then, you'd be buying a story (and probably at a premium) for in the final analysis you'd still have merely an EK2.

How about a 1957 RK? Or take a plain old EK2 and fashion a jump ring for it yourself (but not with a twist tie ).
          Attached Files
          -Ralph Abercrombie

Comment

Gee, Ralph, I don't know. I don't think twist-ties existed pre-1945....
            George

Comment

I don't know... The twist tie adds a certain time traveler aspect

Comment

Pay one cent extra for a "converted" EK2 without documentation sealed by the Pope, attested by the family with period photographic proof...

and you are telling every eCrap cheat on the planet to start mass destruction of EK2s.

Comment

Paper Clip

Probably not as effective as a twist-tie, but I had heard that actual paper clips were used in the field under combat conditions to convert an EK2 to a KC, any truth to that?

John

Comment

If you do a search you will find that Andy has a group with a nice coverted EK to RK with photographs.
                    Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Which Andy are you referring to? Thanks for all of the info.

Regards
                      Paul

Comment

I attempted a search on "Converted EK2" and came up with only this thread

John

Comment

I belive he is refering to Andy Hopkins.

Comment

I Think Sebastian is referring to this thread http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=24498

Earlier on Ralph asked how one could know if a conversion was done pre '45. Well have a look at this thread and you will find the answer.

BTW all the converted EK2's shown here and in other threads about converted EK2's are maybe or maybe not done before '45 but all of them stay original awards. I don't think it is very appropriate to make fun using these awards.

None of these awards were shown to ask for a value and the one I showed was just to reply to Paul question for an example of an converted EK2.

Just my opinion.

Pascal
                            Last edited by Pascal; 02-11-2004, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Slightly off topic, but being the proud father of this cross, I can't help showing it again here...
                              Not as glamorous as an RK conversion, but a conversion none the less:
                              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=44210

regards
                              jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X