No announcement yet.

RK Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris, some people believe this style ribbon was used on presentation day. If you look at the photos of the award often it hangs mid-chest. To place the cross around another's neck might require a little too much intimacy, hence the easy tie. Gordon's book mentions this style for award day.

Comment

Run away

Looks too new for my liking

Comment

Chris, I'd also like to say I can't find one photo of one being used, or, one accepted cross with that style ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
          Gordon's book mentions this style for award day.
          Where exactly ??? If I recall correctly, I don't have the book to hand, it specifically states that the tie ribbons or any other fastening device would have been added afterwards. Ribbons after being modified could vary in length dramatically depending on the device used from around 10cm to around 40cm.

Comment

You are getting to good at this .

As this RK was offered to me I can also give only my opinion on this RK. I agree with you all that this RK is a fake. Not a copy because it was offered to me as the real thing.
            It shows that the fakes are getting quite good and surely could fool the starting collector. On pictures anyway as when I was holding this RK it was clear to me that this was a fake.

I think that this RK is a fake because of the, as already mentioned, fat ring. Then there is the sloppy workmanship on the ring. The very fat swastika. The wear on the outside corners of the rim and of the swastika which doesn’t correspond to the overall mint state of the paint. And then there is what you didn’t know the light weight, this RK weights 27.90 gr.

With this thread I just wanted to show you how easily one can get tricked. My complements to all of you as none of you were fooled by this RK .

Pascal

Comment

This type of fake has been available since the late 80s/early 90s. They used to sell over here as good copies for around £40. The quality is very, very good, and there was no ready access to the internet in these days so many people were caught out by them. Instant giveaways are:-

1. Indented ring at top of cross;
              2. Thick swastika;
              3. Shape of dates. These are crisp but have their own distinctive charactersitics.

Some rims were in silver while others had the rims in plated brass. A whole range of makers' marks were used on them, including those of Juncker and Deschler. They came in their own very nice RK cases, which are still probably circulating somewhere as originals. They also had nice short lengths of what then appeared to be original RK ribbon, with orangey-red centre.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Williamson
                Where exactly ??? If I recall correctly, I don't have the book to hand, it specifically states that the tie ribbons or any other fastening device would have been added afterwards. Ribbons after being modified could vary in length dramatically depending on the device used from around 10cm to around 40cm.
                Yes, added afterwards of course. Not a factory device, don't believe my words said such.

Page 277. "The neck ribbbon on this KC has a typical tie arrangement, using the miniature iron cross ribbon intended for the ribbon bar."

As I see it now, it is indeed short enough to fit perfectly around the neck and NOT hang to the mid chest. I thought I saw some award day photos where the cross hung lower. The guy on page 276 seems to be able to place the cross neatly around his neck without getting to intimate.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X