EKI Spange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKI Spange

As I indicated in my Christmas thread here is the EKI Spange, now the test, who made it (I know there is a stamp on back) and you can almost make it out. It may look like an L/11 but it isn't, that much I will give you. Jim
    Attached Files

back

Here are pictures of the hinge and catch.
    Attached Files

Comment

Jim
      you know I'm gonna jump in here!
      I won't let the cat out the bag (as I know what it is, AND what it's marked as....)
      I've been looking at this for about a year!
      I nearly bought it myself, but I couldn't get my head around that marking. What do you make of it? post war? or real? I couldn't find any other badge, cross, tinnie nothing, that was marked like that from that maker. My only thought was that it was postwar marked.... your opinions?
      regards
      jon

Comment

have you had the case checked out? is it good?

Comment

Hi Jim...I am sorry to say this...but I think it looks like a fake.
          Based on these pictures, it lokks really soft in the definition. Hope I am wrong.

/Flemming

Comment

Not an easy one Jim...

The clasp reminds me of an L/16, and the style of the marking of L/54 ???

Hard to judge it, this is one of these items you got to have in hand to make a good judgment...

Comment

Spange

It is stamped L/54 and the case passes the black light test and matches my other cases. In hand it feels okay and there is no seams around the side.

Weight 9 grams
              height: 30.53 mm
              width: 44.35 mm
              thickness: 2.17 mm
              Attached Files

Comment

Jim, here are my concerns:

- The mm isn't what I expected to see, I thought I recognized the regular L/54 mark in a box, with the raised lettering

- There is a high resemblance to an L16 clasp, which may have modeled for this.

- The fat blob of solder around the catch, it almost looks like the catch is on a plate

- The pitting or roughness of the reverse

- The sharp flange around the edges , no hand-finishing was applied.

Based on the points mentioned, I think it is a new generation copy.
                I may be very wrong, but I think I would have passed on it.
                Another point is that I don't recall that I saw an authentic ek2 clasp from this maker.

The maker mark is way off, I have see a similar mm on a few fake ek's so far.
                I already searched, but couldn't find one, of course.

Comment

I am with Ben on this one. Looking at the last photo you did post, did nothing to convince me that this spange would be an authentic one. So I am still giving this the

/Flemming

Comment

anyone ever seen that marking before?

regards
                    jon

Comment

Hi Jon.

I guess it is the same spange yuo shown here as the one started this thread?

I still do not like it

/Flemming

Comment

yes, sorry, it's the same
                        I've had it 'in hand'
                        here's what I said to Jim:

I'm not 100% sure on that 'L/54'
                        the marking is so strange. It has the 'feel' of a postwar 'put-together'.
                        I can't see why it's marked 'L/54', it's not a known L/54 marking, and the marking itself is incomplete
                        the hardware is also off center, and the hinge is misaligned. It also seems to have had no finish or frosting
                        Although all the parts seem OK...
                        The die looks very worn too, there's not much detail on the wreath etc, and the date is pretty flawed

all in all, I'd guess at it being authentic, late production, but maybe assembled postwar? with a dubious marking?
                        It's a hard one, with only 3 known, and now this...
                        Against all logic, it still could be wartime AND from maker L/54! but you know I believe these to be L/53
                        I just don't know what to advise here, I think I'd hang on to it if you're brave
                        does the dealer have a time limit for returns?
                        regards
                        jon

Comment

and what it reminds me of is the L/17 spangen that surfaced a while back
                          same bodged hardware and finish, and mm'd L/17 when they really were L/13s...
                          leftover stock? assembled post war? reject box?
                          interesting though
                          regards
                          jon

Comment

At best it is rejected, or put together post-war.
                            The marking is not original IMO, and the finishing is below average.

The biggest difference with the L/17 clasp is that they came directly from Wernstein....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X