S&l ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jos Le Conté View Post
    Why are the boards bleached and the ribbons like new ?

Just some questions ..

Jos.
    That's a good question Jos. Must be those replac..... er ... non-fading ribbons

Comment

Just some questions ..

Jos.
      Jos,
      Sorry you missed the first parts of these discussions!

Not all the badges are S&L. As Tom pointed out, just on the CCC's are an S&L, a GWL and an FLL. The commonality is all Ludenschied.

The DK's ARE wartime S&L's. Scroll down a few posts and you'll see photos of a comparison of these and the 57 models by that same firm. The pin finish is a clue.

Card stock, especially colored, can fade significantly after only relatively short exposure to sunlight and heat (much less than required to fade cloth dies). Put a piece (with an EK ribbon pinned to the top) in the back window of your car and leave it there for a week in the bright sun (although this is not a great time of year for that!). The board will fade much faster than the ribbon.

What are your thoughts on the glider badge and retired pilot?
      Best,
      Leroy

Comment

Well, I've had EK 2's with faded ribbons upto orange to nearly yellow, not some of those with a newly cut ribbons from supplies..
        We're not talking about one week of exposure..
        A bleached board should mean some UV rays were at work, no ?
        I know some jackets left and right which were exposed to the sun/light while in collections and they look awfull..
        It's a pity we can't study the badges fully exposed, it's hard to judge them..

But if they made the " look what's going on in Ludenscheid " sample boards, I'd be happy to see the " Hey and this is Berlin" boards..

Jos.
        Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 10-24-2008, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Jos,
          I've seen that same fading and I think it depends entirely on the quality of the cloth dies and the extent of exposure to the elements. Most EK and RK ribbons were of fairly high quality and the dies used in the threads (cotton or rayon) were pretty good. Look at worn RK's for sale, still with their original ribbons. Most of the ribbons (except for fraying and snagging) are in pretty good shape and still retain their color. I, too, though, have seen a few where the color has changed dramatically over time.
          Thoughts on the other Luft badges?
          Best,
          Leroy

Comment

...My $25 just expired... , ...can't move the pictures, ...can someone do it please.
            Here is the link to pictures of Spanish Cross marked "4" drooptail,
            ....is that type of hardwear or that type of maker mark seen on original S&L awards?

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=158522

Comment

The down-tail SK on the boards being discussed here appears to have the same hardware and marking as that shown on the original "regular" version posted by Jacques in the thread you linked:
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's the bad one from that thread:
                Attached Files

Comment

How come the picture you moved got so much smaller...
                  ...So you are saying there are fake drooptail Spanish Crosses marked "4" and there are original drooptail Spanish Crosses marked "4"?

Comment

And here's the photo (very small unfortunately) of the one from the board. Note the catch. (It's best to go back to the photo posted earlier here of the reverse of the board, copy it and look at it on your own screen using your own magnification tools.)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alikn View Post
                      How come the picture you moved so much smaller...
                      ...So you are saying there are fake drooptail Spanish Crosses marked "4" and there are original drooptail Spanish Crosses marked "4"?
                      Alikn,
                      I copied the photo from the other thread (which showed a total of 3 crosses) and just cropped it to show individual crosses. Be happy to move them all if you want.
                      Are there copies of down-tailed SK's? Absolutely.
                      Best,
                      Leroy

Comment

Can you show the pictures of one other original known drooptail in existence .

Comment

Here's the entire photo from that other thread. Jacques was showing the bad one on top, compared to two originals on the bottom. Interesting to note the differing hardware used by S&L (but neither original matching the copy)(as 1 of the originals DOES match the one on the boards discussed here).
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alikn View Post
                            Can you show the pictures of one other original known drooptail in existence .
                            Well, I suppose if I had access to every collection in the world, I might see a few.....

I personally don't have one and have never seen one.

I think that might be one of the reasons why these boards are so interesting.

Comment

In all seriousness, here is a link I found to a thread on this Forum several years ago, showing a cross remarkably similar to the one on the boards being discussed now.

The fellow who started the thread was absolutely crucified. His responses, and apparently his general past attitude and comments to other members here, may have deservedly "set him up" for that. I don't know him and will not try to judge him. He certainly ran into a wall here.

The badge he posted, though, now deserves a second look. Don't we always say "judge the item, not the source"? Well, here's your chance........

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...+spanish+cross

Comment

That other one looks much better and pin looks like on the board.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 83 users online. 0 members and 83 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X