RK Ribbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RK Ribbon

The widow of a Luft Kampfgeschwader Gruppe commander gave me this RK ribbon years ago. The elastic band is brittle and was already separated when she mailed it to me. A wartime RK ribbon? Thanks for your insights and judgments.
    Last edited by David Sims; 05-08-2007, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

David, the weave seems a bit loose and the scalloping uneven....does it feel thick and wool like or light and silky?
              Regards,
              Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave. It's early here on the East Coast, but I went upstairs to check out the ribbon. Feels light, silky.

Comment

David

Have you tried to black light it? Best to use another piece of original ribbon as a comparison. A simple EK2 ribbon would be enough to compare. How does the white section react?

I wouldn't be too worried about the uneven edging. It's a worn ribbon so it would not be perfect along the edge as that would rub quite a lot.

Also, if the ribbon has ever been laundered it can affect the feel.

Rich
                  Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                  Decorations of Germany

Comment

Thank you, Richard, for the insight(s). I put the ribbon under a blacklight at one of the novelty shops we have in town, and the ribbon does not glow. The paper envelope I was carrying it in certainly did. I compared the texture to several EK2 ribbons I have and pretty comparable, along with the edging.

The ribbon was given to me in 1996 by Lore Wittmer, the widow of Hauptmann Heinrich Wittmer, Kommandeur, III./KG 55. In a portion of her letter, she wrote (in English): "When in 1945 the US Army occupied Bavaria we were terribly frightened. My sister and I worked a whole day and night to remove the 'red stripes' out of the trousers, the stripe of belonging to the General Staff. These stripes and all badges of the uniforms we burned in that night. The material of the uniforms was very good, and as we could not buy any clothes and our little boy was growing, I sewed all sorts of things for him. The only thing I found is this ribbon on the Ritterkreuz was hanging on. There are photos from the war, but no objects. I send you these few copies, though I can't imagine whether they are of any interest for you."

And, of course, they were!

Comment

It looks like the ribbon has been washed and pressed. The wrinkles were the loop would go can still be seen though. Difficult to judge a piece like this. It might well be pre 1945.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking View Post
                        It looks like the ribbon has been washed and pressed. The wrinkles were the loop would go can still be seen though. Difficult to judge a piece like this. It might well be pre 1945.

Peter
                        Peter

Those are my thoughts too. I tend to think it is good. A point about ribbons; In a post I made many moons ago, there where at least 15 firms authorised to make medal ribbons for the TR. That gives many possibilities on colour, construction and feel. This is evident on EK2 ribbon and examining all the examples I have these variations are evident. I think that you have to take this into consideration with RK ribbon too.

David, if possible check the UV reaction side-by-side some EK2 ribbons. Just to be sure.

Rich
                        Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Here's the Wittmer grouping and where his RK ribbon has been stored away from the light.

Comment

Wittmer sent me his autographed photograph back in 1986 before he passed away.

Comment

David,
                              That is a very nice display, I like it alot

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X