Breakdown of rank for RK winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakdown of rank for RK winners

Whilst an anorak myself,I wonder if there are any other smitten anoraks out there who have some breakdown of RK attribution vis a vis rank.One has to accept there were elements of elitism in awards procedure, particularly for those of rank or command who were honoured without any individual acts of bravery.So how do we determine merit with regard to privates or corporals who acquired the RK ?This should be thought provoking in itself.

There is one person that was recommend for the RK that destroyed 7 Allied tanks in one day with a Panzerfaust.

Comment

If you group the ranks, the most RK's were given to Leutnants.
      B&D PUBLISHING
      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Maj. Konig View Post
        There is one person that was recommend for the RK that destroyed 7 Allied tanks in one day with a Panzerfaust.
        Are you talking about a Frenchman by the name of Unterscharfuhrer Eugene Vanlot/Vaulot

Comment

Originally posted by Laurence Strong View Post
          Are you talking about a Frenchman by the name of Unterscharfuhrer Eugene Vanlot/Vaulot
          Ya.

Comment

I hope i am not breaking any copyright laws here but i think this piece could be of interest.

Jacob Hoffend, RK on 07.02.1945 as NSDAP-Ortsgruppenleiter (ehrenamtl.) in K******246;ln for disposing of 1892 Blindg******228;nger bombs.

Wilhelm Sitt, RK on 07.02.1945 as F******252;hrer eines Btls. D. K******246;lner Volksturmes und Abschnittsleiter (ehrenamtl.) im Gau-Org. Amt der NSDAP-Gauleitung K******246;ln-Aachen. He disposed of several hundreds of Blindg******228;nger bombs.

Source: Veit Scherzer “Ritterkreuztr******228;ger 1939-1945” (2005).
            www.feldgrau.net

Peter

Comment

What is Blindg******228;nger bombs???

Comment

How many Generals never heard a gunshot but were awarded the Knight's Cross?

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by v_asseline View Post
                  What is Blindg******228;nger bombs???
                  Unexploded bombs.

Peter
                  Last edited by Peter Wiking; 01-29-2007, 12:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
                    If you group the ranks, the most RK's were given to Leutnants.

not right, Dietrich. There were a much more Hauptleute awarded the Ritterkreuz.

Lt: 517
                    Olt: 1138
                    Hptm: 1257 (rank with the most awardees)
                    Mjr: 651

Stefan

Comment

Originally posted by StefanK. View Post
                      not right, Dietrich. There were a much more Hauptleute awarded the Ritterkreuz.

Lt: 517
                      Olt: 1138
                      Hptm: 1257 (rank with the most awardees)
                      Mjr: 651

Stefan
                      is that just heer or across the board.
                      thanks jamie

Comment

Hi Jamie,

the numbers above are the sums of all Heer, Luftwaffe and Marine recipients.

Heer would be:

Lt.: 426
                        Olt: 623
                        Hptm: 890
                        Mjr: 528

Regards,

Stefan

Comment

Stef,

what's your source? I did of course not compile the number on my own but rather took it from the book "Knights of the Iron Cross" by Gordon Williamson. Was he wrong?

Dietrich
                          B&D PUBLISHING
                          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

RK's per Rank etc

I always have liked this website: http://www.twschwarzer.de/ekrk.htm.

Although the numbers are not completely up to date and sometimes not accurat, it gives a very good indication.

Best,

JRA

Comment

It has to be remembered that chance, particularly for the non-comissioned ranks of the Heer and SS, must have played a central role. Individual acts of bravery had to be witnessed by the right people, they then had to survive and actually start the process of recommendation which then had to go through all the verious levels of command and approval.

Makes you wonder how many landser deserved the knight's cross yet no one of sufficient rank or inclination was around to see it and do anything about it. As such, surely a Heer non-com RK must be 'worth' far more than that of some obscure general.
                              My guess is that far more deserving cases ended up with a wooden cross rather than a Knight's Cross.
                              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X